Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desk from Studebaker factory FS!

GREAT piece of history to own- IF it can be documented:

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

[u]LQQK FOLKS!!!!!!!</u>

This is the real deal and a rare piece of Studebaker history!!!! Be the only one on your block (or in your state) to own a genuine Studebaker desk. Just think how you can impress your Studebaker buddies!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedesk
      This is the real deal and a rare piece of Studebaker history!!!! Be the only one on your block (or in your state) to own a genuine Studebaker desk. Just think how you can impress your Studebaker buddies!
      Is there a little brass equipment tag on it somewhere? A lot of the big stuff was identified as "Property of Studebaker Corporation" with a serial number on that tag.

Craig

Comment

They're coming out of the woodwork. [)] Hard to prove, or disprove some of these items in the time limit of the auction. Wish the sellers had better proof for these SB artifacts when they are listed in the descriptions. You hope eBay sellers are honest, but realistically you never know how much is hype. It would have helped the auction to have included a letter from the original owners with some history of their employment to back this one up. Unlike other former South Bend items, this one could easily have been documented. It would be great to know what office it was in and what Studebaker business crossed the top of it. The stories behind it might be the best part of owning the desk. Thanks for posting, Bob.

Comment

I would think that Craig is correct, most large companies mark their equipment with what is termed a fixed asset label. This should have an item number on it that the company would use to track their equipment for depreciation and tax purposes.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedesk
            LQQK FOLKS!!!!!!!

Funny.

Comment

In my home office...I have a similar desk that looks like it could have been made at the same factory. Mine was from a county court house. It was given to me about 1977 when they were updating the furniture in the court house. Good solid practical construction, but nothing spectacular about it. Mine has drawers full of misc stuff and is host to my printer, fax machine, and an older windows 98 desktop computer.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Do you have the serial number on that desk?
                I want to check it against the registry to see if it might be an 'R' series desk.
                Also, does the correct OEM matching chair come with the desk?

quote:Originally posted by Studedesk

[u]LQQK FOLKS!!!!!!!</u>
                &lt;snip&gt;
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If it was in fact it was built as a typest desk, The mechanical typewriter elavating shelf is missing. I have a unused oval brass tag that reads "STUDEBAKER 447 SAN FRANCISCO" The "447" is set under the word Studebaker and above the word San Francisco. There are two holes to accomodate screws. Also have a oval brass tag that has the word "STUDEBAKER" in script and below it "ADMS.BLDG. So. Bend." The number 226 stamped on the reverse side. It appears it's a key identification tag as there is a tab with a hole in it on one end.

Richard

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

GREAT piece of history to own- IF it can be documented:
                    This a very common desk, probably many thousands of them sold on the GSA schedule 50+ years or so ago. I bought one at at surplus sale at a Naval Air Station in '63 or '64. It's a typist desk. The left hand side had a platform that slid out and locked up when the typewriter was needed.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

How appropriate and odd, Retired, that your post of ID stating Studebaker 447 is also your 447th post. When will that ever happen to any of us?

"USA
                      447 Posts"

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock
                        When will that ever happen to any of us?

Anytime you want..my ID tag says 3614.

Comment

Retired is correct. It's a secretary's desk. The left pedestal had a steel cantilevered shelf that could be used to raise/lower a typewriter and store it out of sight. I have a smaller, single-pedestal model made by the the same company (same style handles) that I bought at a govt-surplus auction years ago.

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53k
                            This a very common desk, probably many thousands of them sold on the GSA schedule 50+ years or so ago. I bought one at at surplus sale at a Naval Air Station in '63 or '64. It's a typist desk. The left hand side had a platform that slid out and locked up when the typewriter was needed.
                            That is very correct in that they were made in the thousands. Besides offices, I recall seeing them serving as secretary's desks in schools. Unfortunately, it was not a 'custom made' unit as one that would have been designed by an interior decorator. Therefore, the only way that one for sale to be unique would be the brass inventory tag if there is one on it.

Craig

Comment

As some have said there should be a Studebaker Corporation property Inventory tag on the desk somewhere. I would suspect that it is in the chair opening. if they used tool tags on most tolls they also used ID tags on other items such as office furniture. As Skip has pointed out these were a dime a dozen in the day. I also bought two very nice ones from Govt surplus sales at letterkenny Depot in the early 70's.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X