PDA

View Full Version : '63 Avanti Restoration status

edpjr
11-15-2009, 01:05 AM
This car is R2333. It is supercharged with an R1 motor. I have been working on it since last summer. It has been stripped and repainted and all the little emblems and the rechromed rear bumper are due to be re-installed right after Thanksgiving. The car looks pretty good "as is." We took it out to run it a little on Friday. The engine has been tuned, with many parts replaced, including a new T-bow Mallory distributor. The car will definitely "move on" and doesn't spark knock. The oil press is a healthy 40-60 psi. Normal operating temp is 170F. I have to mix in 3-4 gals of racing fuel (110 octane) or about 1/2 tank of 100 octane to get the best performance. The electrical system is in pretty good shape with new wiring, electronic voltage regulator and a hi-amp battery. But, I've pretty much given up on the Tach. It works sometimes and then will stick at other times. Guess it's the "ghost in the machine" effect. Thus, I'm going to nickname her "Ghostrider." I've used up two new in-line gas-filters in about 350 miles of driving. There must be plenty of rust and sediment in the fuel tank. I have a carb kit, but haven't rebuilt it yet. Will probably wait till can get the gas tank cleaned out. More mechanical work planned in the next few weeks; install rechromed valve covers, new brass PCV valve, repaint engine, replace single master cyl with dual M/C kit, change trans fluid and filter, replace vacuum and heater hoses, etc. I also have a new headliner kit and door sills to be installed, plus an original rear-view mirror and passenger side chrome plated wiper arm. All in all, she's coming around pretty good. Everytime I drive it somewhere, people turn their heads for a 2nd look. Other drivers are always asking if it's a "new" or "foreign" car. I must admit that I get a kick out of that...[8D]

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu136/edpjr/63Avanti11-09.jpg

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

Milaca
11-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Ed, I like it! I have a '63 Hawk that I'll trade even up for it. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

silverhawk
11-15-2009, 01:17 AM
I love it!

Dylan Wills
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr200/1961lark/My%201961%20studebaker%20lark/Watcomcountyminimeet09andJamesBells.jpg
'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon

edpjr
11-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I absolutely love Hawks buddy. But despite some unexpected problems, I've become deeply attached to the "Ghostrider." Lord willing, I think she'll be with me a longgg...time. [^]

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

Ed, I like it! I have a '63 Hawk that I'll trade even up for it. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

okc63avanti
11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Ed,

She is looking good. I'm surprised you need to mix in the high octane stuff that's expensive. Maybe the carb rebuild coupled with some tuning of the ignition system. Are you still running the dual point system or have you upgraded to a electronic distributor? My car before starting its redo with stock Carter AFB and stock Prestolite dual point distributer ran fine with no knock or ping with 93 octane premium (which is getting hard to fine around here now) and on 91 premium (common now) it would ping under heavy acceleration or while pulling a hill.

Keep up the good work, an Avanti is either addictive or a disease. Once you get one its hard to get rid off it. I wouldn't mind having a Hawk some day either (and a Champ PU, Daytona convertible, and a ...) But with the $$$ I'm spending on the Avanti, my wife would go ballistic if I brought home another Studebaker.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/63StudebakerAvanti-1.jpg

showbizkid
11-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Ed, nice to see that such a beautiful car has a good and loving home. Nice progress - thanks for keeping us updated!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
www.studebakersandiego.com

edpjr
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks! We have installed the T-bow electronic Mallory distributor ($375) and a high-perf coil. I think the carb does need to be rebuilt. As far as the octane goes, she'll run on 93, but it makes a big difference in performance when I get the mixture closer to 100. Recall, I've got a special case; R1 Motor and heads with a supercharger. So my compression ratio is probably 12 or 13:1 under full boost. [^]

quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

Ed,

She is looking good. I'm surprised you need to mix in the high octane stuff that's expensive. Maybe the carb rebuild coupled with some tuning of the ignition system. Are you still running the dual point system or have you upgraded to a electronic distributor? My car before starting its redo with stock Carter AFB and stock Prestolite dual point distributer ran fine with no knock or ping with 93 octane premium (which is getting hard to fine around here now) and on 91 premium (common now) it would ping under heavy acceleration or while pulling a hill.

Keep up the good work, an Avanti is either addictive or a disease. Once you get one its hard to get rid off it. I wouldn't mind having a Hawk some day either (and a Champ PU, Daytona convertible, and a ...) But with the $$$ I'm spending on the Avanti, my wife would go ballistic if I brought home another Studebaker.

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

N8N
11-15-2009, 10:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by edpjr

Thanks! We have installed the T-bow electronic Mallory distributor ($375) and a high-perf coil. I think the carb does need to be rebuilt. As far as the octane goes, she'll run on 93, but it makes a big difference in performance when I get the mixture closer to 100. Recall, I've got a special case; R1 Motor and heads with a supercharger. So my compression ratio is probably 12 or 13:1 under full boost. [^]

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch :) You wanna play, you gotta pay.

I'd be interested to see how that combo performs on a dyno. I personally wouldn't like to have to carry around a jerry can of race gas on a road trip, but I bet it kicks you in the butt when you stomp it.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Laemmle
11-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Ya think I like to spend almost ten dollars per gallon of 110 TEL Sunoco race gas????

My R-1 Avanti will not run on pump gas(93) It pings like a MoFo!

So to all those that claim their R-1's run fine on 93 no lead......I would pay to see and drive those cars myself!

Just hard to believe.........and my Avanti had a major re-build via Thibeault!

studegary
11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Ya think I like to spend almost ten dollars per gallon of 110 TEL Sunoco race gas????

So to all those that claim their R-1's run fine on 93 no lead......I would pay to see and drive those cars myself!

I don't know why, but there seems to be a big variation in these engines. I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

okc63avanti
11-15-2009, 03:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

I don't know why, but there seems to be a big variation in these engines. I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Just a thought here nothing to back it up as I'm not an expert by any means. My Avanti when driven daily and using 93 octane had about 130,000 original miles on the original rings, pistons etc. That being said as an R1 as they age (compression drops with wear) could it be that they don't need the extra octane. Maybe the variability between cars is the variability in compression due to engine age and wear.

Gunslinger
11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Though it was more prevalent with leaded gas, but deposits can form on the pistons with mileage and effectively raise the compression ratio, causing uneven running and detonation. Since Stude engines all have mechanical lifters, having them adjusted correctly is imperative to maintain smooth running and to keep detonation from happening. When those mechanical lifters rattling even when properly adjusted the sound of detonation can be hidden...that's not just for Stude engines but any mechanical lifter engine.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Laemmle
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
My car will not run even with 100 octane fuel!

studegary
11-16-2009, 02:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by okc63avanti

I owned two R1 Avantis at about the same time. They were both completely stock and with about the same mileage on them. They were both tuned the same (by me). One ran fine on high test gasoline and the other wouldn't.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

Just a thought here nothing to back it up as I'm not an expert by any means. My Avanti when driven daily and using 93 octane had about 130,000 original miles on the original rings, pistons etc. That being said as an R1 as they age (compression drops with wear) could it be that they don't need the extra octane. Maybe the variability between cars is the variability in compression due to engine age and wear.

[/quote]

That is why I stated that both example R1 Avantis were stock, of the same age (at the same time) and had nearly the same miles on them (low).

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

edpjr
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
"Ghostrider" is getting a taste of about 4-5 gallons of 110 octane tomorrow. :D

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

edpjr
11-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Got the rechromed valve covers installed tonite. That sure made a big difference in the looks under the hood. The rockers, push rods, etc. all appeared exceptionally clean too. Installed the original type rear view mirror and bracket, but it's gonna need a little more work to hold the proper adjustment. The car goes back to the body shop on Monday to have the rechromed rear bumper installed, the emblems and badges replaced, door sills, trunk moulding, and a few other minor finishing touches. It's been slow going, but the car is really starting to come around...:D

edp/NC
'63 Avanti
'66 Commander

Retired
11-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Ed. Ref: Rear View Mirror. See Studebaker Service Bulletin F1963-18, 30 August 1963, "Inside rear view mirror looseness". It provides detail instructions and parts needed to correct problem.

Richard