roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof

How does a body man bring out / or tighten sheet metal? The roof has a dip, you can push on this to bring it out, but is there a way to strengthen sheet metal to not be flexible?

It has probably been buckled from someone stepping on it, or storing 'stuff' on it.
    A 'good' body man can get the creases out of the buckle.
    Eastwood sells a 'shrinking' disc for a hand grinder that will work wonders on it....
    But you have to know how to use it...
    Bondo is NOT the answer...
    Hang in there... You'll get it.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 14x7

How does a body man bring out / or tighten sheet metal? The roof has a dip, you can push on this to bring it out, but is there a way to strengthen sheet metal to not be flexible?

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There is a process of heating the metal and then quickly cooling it to make it shrink....though I dont know how to do it. There are websites and probably YouTube videos that demonstrate this technique but you may want to practice on a junk car rather than potentially cause damage to a good car.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Heat gently, with a torch(make sure the headliner is removed). Have a wet rag in your hand, and rapidly cool the area. This is a "touch" kinda thing, but you will eventually get good at it. With me, I got good at it, about the time I got the job done.

Comment

I would use a mig welder to shrink,not a torch especially on a flat roof panel.depending on the exact situation you can cold shrink the area with a good size socket and a fairly blunt pick hammer.oh and also a good aim!

Joseph R. Zeiger
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I took the oil can out of my C-Cab fender with a mig welder a bucket of ice water and a sponge. Then ground the welds down.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

Here's the Eastwood shrinker grinder attachment...
              Comes in two sizes...
              Jeff[8D]

Here's what they say about it:
              (copy)
              Metal Shrinking Disk 9in
              Item #14050
              Only $ 69.99
              or
              Metal Shrinking Disc 4 1/2 in
              Item #29829
              Only $ 59.99

Now it's easier than ever to minimize the use of fillers. Eastwood's Shrinking Disc contacts the raised areas to heat & shrink, more accurately than a torch. First clean the surface with an abrasive disc, attach our Stainless Steel Shrinking Disk to your Angle Grinder; spray with soapy water, & move the spinning disc over the damage for a few seconds, spray again with soapy water, then check progress. Repeat if needed then prep & prime. Includes 9" Shrinking Disk & instructions. Made in USA.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'd have to see a demo,just might be worthy?

Joseph R. Zeiger
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                X