PDA

View Full Version : sparky

robtc
11-13-2009, 08:58 PM
after looking online and searching here I still remain in need of help. I have '55 champion with a 52 6 cylinder engine and automatic tranny. I am looking for good spark plugs. After reading what is, was and might still be available and too short, too long, I thought I would just ask here.

Any suggestions for the correct spark plugs? The ones it has right now are Autolite 303's.

Milaca
11-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I use Champions and dont have any issues. I've had people tell me that Champions are junk, but I dont believe them being they work as well as any other plug for me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

maxpower1954
11-14-2009, 01:36 AM
I've never anyone describe Champions as "junk", I've always considered them to be an excellent plug and it's all I have ever used. Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
George C. Scott as "Patton"

Transtar60
11-14-2009, 06:07 AM
I have found that Champions are less tolerant of ill tuned engines (timing,carb adjustments). And the plugs are not exactly the same now as earlier. Todays H14 is different from a H14 of twenty or thirty years, ago, if you hold one from 1962 up against a "modern" version, you can see the difference. I learned on my 8E Champ truck if I didnt not let it get to full operating temp, the plugs would quickly foul. That was with the stock nearly worn out carb, havent had the problem since switching to a 4v.

I still using Champions in most of my Studes(all V8's), but I am experimenting with Autolite 437's in my Lark V8 to see if they last longer. All are equipped with Petronix ignition kits.

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10056/5E13%20Pic%203.JPG
3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28

59 Lark
etc

DEEPNHOCK
11-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Not a rant.....more of a ramble[8D])

Heck... The same can be said for most things...including us!;):(
Nothing is 'exactly' the same as it was 50 years ago..
(except NOS parts, and some of those deteriorate, too).
Yes, the spark plug of today has changed, but it is more of an evolution in manufacturing technologies, and metallurgy.
New methods of design to minimize materials.
New plating techniques, new metals and ceramics.
New high energy ignition systems.
But the clunky old Studebaker stays the same.
Shoot, we have people running 60 year old wires and plugs and they complain when a spark plug fouls.
We need to go back to basics and remember what a 'tune up' is, and more importantly 'how' to do a tune up.
(And that a 'tune up' does not necessarily mean that all the parts have to be replaced)
Shoot...
The parts have changed, the oil has changed, the fuel has changed, the tires have changed....yada yada yada...
But we have a hard time changing the car...or ourselves.
And sometimes the car resists due to the neglect.
So does our body.
So does our medicine...
60 years ago if you had a pain, you took....an aspirin.
Today you have to go to a doctor to find out if the pill de-jour will solve your TV induced perceived ill....or ask if it kill you.
I'll stick with the aspirin.
And only when it is really needed.
Same with my Studes..
They get maintenance attention.
Next thing you know there will be Studebaker disclaimers on all parts because of the negative feedback the manufacturers get;)
(or they will just drop it off their catalog altogether)
Hoard your own parts for your own Studebaker!
Heaven knows you can't sell Stude parts to a Stude guy for a realistic profit.
(and no....not a 1960's based profit)
Now I am rambling.....
And typing.....into...unconsciousness....
ZZZzzzzzz;)

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

<snip>
And the plugs are not exactly the same now as earlier. Today's H14 is different from a H14 of twenty or thirty years, ago, if you hold one from 1962 up against a "modern" version, you can see the difference. <snip>

Bud
11-14-2009, 09:17 AM
My Autolite catalogue lists a 295 as the correct plug for your engine and the Champion catalogue shows an 871 {RJ8C} as the correct plug. Bud

Transtar60
11-14-2009, 09:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Not a rant.....more of a ramble[8D])

Heck... The same can be said for most things...including us!;):(
Nothing is 'exactly' the same as it was 50 years ago..
(except NOS parts, and some of those deteriorate, too).
Yes, the spark plug of today has changed, but it is more of an evolution in manufacturing technologies, and metallurgy.
New methods of design to minimize materials.
New plating techniques, new metals and ceramics.
New high energy ignition systems.
But the clunky old Studebaker stays the same.
Shoot, we have people running 60 year old wires and plugs and they complain when a spark plug fouls.
We need to go back to basics and remember what a 'tune up' is, and more importantly 'how' to do a tune up.
(And that a 'tune up' does not necessarily mean that all the parts have to be replaced)
Shoot...
The parts have changed, the oil has changed, the fuel has changed, the tires have changed....yada yada yada...
But we have a hard time changing the car...or ourselves.
And sometimes the car resists due to the neglect.
So does our body.
So does our medicine...
60 years ago if you had a pain, you took....an aspirin.
Today you have to go to a doctor to find out if the pill de-jour will solve your TV induced perceived ill....or ask if it kill you.
I'll stick with the aspirin.
And only when it is really needed.
Same with my Studes..
They get maintenance attention.
Next thing you know there will be Studebaker disclaimers on all parts because of the negative feedback the manufacturers get;)
(or they will just drop it off their catalog altogether)
Hoard your own parts for your own Studebaker!
Heaven knows you can't sell Stude parts to a Stude guy for a realistic profit.
(and no....not a 1960's based profit)
Now I am rambling.....
And typing.....into...unconsciousness....
ZZZzzzzzz;)

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

<snip>
And the plugs are not exactly the same now as earlier. Today's H14 is different from a H14 of twenty or thirty years, ago, if you hold one from 1962 up against a "modern" version, you can see the difference. <snip>

10-4 Jeff:D

http://racingstudebakers.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10056/5E13%20Pic%203.JPG
3E38
4E2
4E28
5E13
7E7
8E7
8E12
8E28

59 Lark
etc

Milaca
11-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Compare the Autolite side-by-side with the Champion as the Autolite plug may be manufactured by Champion.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

Bud
11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I have Champion plugs in my Hawk, my Avanti has Autolites and my girlfriends Lark 259 has old AC 45LS plugs that I had on the shelf for years. I don't think that it makes much difference which plugs you use as long as they're specified for your engine by the plug manufacturer. There may be a slight difference between plugs in a really high performance engine, but in a street engine I seriously doubt it. Bud