AM/FM radio options for Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM/FM radio options for Studebakers

Have 2 recent find Studebakers. One's a 1962 Lark, the other is a 1960 Hawk. Both have AM radios. I want AM/FM but want something period correct. What options do I have? Something from maybe an Avanti!

I arrived into this world in a Lark, might as well drive one!

Studebaker first offered AM/FM Delco radio in 1964 and it was a rare option. Many people leave the original radio in its place and put a modern cd/stereo somewhere that it can't be easily seen. You can buy such a stereo with a remote control as you will need this if you locate it in an unconvenient place for channel changing or volume control when you are driving. I've seen them mounted directly under the dash, in a glove box, and there may be room under a seat.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Studebaker International sells AM/FM/Cassette units that fit in to the original bezel for $225; also has a JVC unit with 12 disc CD for $530. They are on page 138 of their new catalog. You could pay twice as much for an original Studebaker AM/FM unit, if you can find it.

Or, you could always try this option
      Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Custom Autosound makes various units that will fit.

Comment

You can also send your AM unit to someone to install FM into although the dial will not have an FM scale. You turn in on its in AM band. Cut if off and turn it back on and its on the FM band. Here's one vendor as an example (no experience with them) but a google search may turn up one close to you.

car truck classic muscle antique vintage old collector automobile auto radio stereo sound speaker amplifier conversion reproduction analog digital signal processor Chevy Ford Chevrolet Corvette Pontiac GMC Mercury Mustang Camaro Oldsmobile Buick Cadillac Mopar Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Studebaker Bluetooth USB HD Radio

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

WOW, and you guys call yourselves CASOs???(may as well let Kent in on the meaning slowly, we don't want to scare him off!)

Kent, if all you want is to have AM/FM how about one of the old Radio Shack or Audiovox converters? It's a seperate FM receiver mounted under the dash which you tune your FM station; it converts that into an AM signal around 1100 or so you receieve on the car's original radio. I've had one in my GT for over 20 years, and it works good enough for me. Search on Ebay for RadioShack/Realistic or Audiovox AM/FM converter. Seem to sell for around 25-35 dollars (now that's CASO!!!) I might even have an extra around here somewhere, if you are interested. Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
            George C. Scott as "Patton"
            1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
            1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Also, you can try the RediRad. Check it out here:http://redirad.com/

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Does a '62 Lark have a tube radio or solid state? Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
                1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

The 62 Lark can have either a solid state radio if it has pushbuttons or what is known as a hybrid circuit that has both tubes and a transistor for the output amplifier if it is a manual tune radio. Bud

Comment

I liked the "RediRad" idea until the other day when I was in Best Buy looking for someway to hook up my satellite radio to my brand 'X' radio and they had basic same system (only it was for FM) for $29.95! Checking the internet, I found a kit to build a small fool proof AM transmitter (to do the same thing as "RediRad") for under $10.00!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
                    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Good news, there was 2 '64 Studebaker AM/FM radios in the trunk of the Lark. Just need to replace some capacitors or reform them and install the radios when the cars arrive back from the garage. Talk about good fortune.

I arrived into this world in a Lark, might as well drive one!

Comment

WHAT??? Kent, you are living a true Studebaker enthusists dream! First you find a Hawk and a Lark locked away for years, then TWO Studebaker AM/FMs in the trunk! I'd say you are off to a great start! Russ Farris

"All glory is fleeting"
                        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

What Russ said. Wow... [:0]

I've seen those sell for anywhere between $500 and $1000 bucks. You must be living right. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

500-1000?

Where?...........I have a mint one that I want 400.00 for and numerous CASO's have 'insulted' me with their offers:-(

That is why the radio continues to repose in the box it has been in for years:-)

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

What Russ said. Wow... [:0]

I've seen those sell for anywhere between $500 and $1000 bucks. You must be living right. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

The last one went on EBAY for 800.00 or thereabouts. Put them in a safe deposit box.

Comment

Working...
                              X