Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOS R-1 Radiator?

Hi, Guys,

The next step in the Avanti project is the radiator, which I have been advised is in poor condition and in need of re-coring. The cost of re-coring a radiator has gotten quite high, as you may know. My inner CASO is growling at me to figure out an alternative.

Are there any NOS R-1 radiators out there? If not, are there any acceptable substitutes from more common cars?

Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Tom

Even if you could find a NOS radiator, after all these years it would need flushing and pressure testing just to make sure. That would be on top of the healthy price a NOS unit would likely bring.

If your side tanks are in good shape, a re-core would likely run in the $300 range (at least in my area). That's with a core that has more fins per inch for improved cooling ability. You could also check into an aluminum core for less weight and more efficient heat transfer. A custom shop could also build you an all aluminum radiator, but that would cost a good bit more than re-coring your present unit.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

actually SASCO still had NOS as of 3-4 years ago. they may be all sold out now though.

I agree with the recore advice though, I imagine the cost would be about the same as a NOS one if you could find it.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

SI, which now owns SASCO, has none in stock. Unfortunately, Mr. G, that recore number is up to $475, according to my radiator shop, hence my inquiry. I spoke to the folks at Myer's, who told me $500 without knowing the quote I already had. Apparently the prices of copper and brass have skyrocketed. There's a piece on Bob Johnstone's site to the effect that a '68-'72 Nova radiator might fit, and there are aftermarket aluminum units that fit that description, but my shop tells me they are mostly of cheap Chinese construction and not able to withstand conditions in the Northeast. Obviously he has an interest in doing an expensive recore job, so I don't know whether his comments on the quality of those aftermarket units are valid.

Anyway, sounds like more dough out the door.

Comment

I am having my Avanti restored and modified and my plans are to put an aluminum 4 core radiator in it. If you are trying to go with originality my original radiator has been cleaned and tested by a shop that Myer's studebaker trust. I'm not sure what to ask for it but would entertain a reasonable offer.

<div align="left">John</div id="left">

<div align="left">'63 Avanti, R1, Auto, AC, PW (unrestored)</div id="left">
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Contact dave thibeault...he sole me one nos...

quote:Originally posted by tluz

Hi, Guys,

The next step in the Avanti project is the radiator, which I have been advised is in poor condition and in need of re-coring. The cost of re-coring a radiator has gotten quite high, as you may know. My inner CASO is growling at me to figure out an alternative.

Are there any NOS R-1 radiators out there? If not, are there any acceptable substitutes from more common cars?

Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

Thanks, fellas.

Comment

Working...
              X