PDA

View Full Version : Simple 63 voltage regulator question

Huck
11-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm replacing the regulator on my Lark and realize that the field wire screws on and the ignition wire snaps on the spade type connector. What does the wire do that connects to a capacitor at the starter relay and how do i reconnect that? The shop manual and wiring diagram are not helping me. Thanks in advance. Huck

Gary Hildebrandt

Milaca
11-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Does this help? The third wire shown is a ground.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2504/4097439980_f18e3d6f35.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3939471781_afa477b3ae_t.jpg
Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

jackb
11-12-2009, 09:01 AM
..make sure you've got good clean contact with the fender (no rust), and maybe best to change to nut/bolt alternative rather than original screw.....I've always found this reg/alt set up fragile....

Huck
11-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys for the good advic. Unfortunately that other wire, I'm talking about, is absent from the picture. I must learn how to post pictures.

Gary Hildebrandt

studebakerkid
11-13-2009, 05:56 AM
That is what I was think is that is for the radio static condenser.

I gave up on those external regulators deckaids ago. A good alternator shop can test your alternator and match it with a transistor regulator that mounts right on the back and converts it to a one wire set up.

20 years ago I could not find anything but the transistor type in the old style case. The trans type are non adjustable cuz they have no points so you could not match it to your individual alternators output.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A
50 JD MC

Huck
11-14-2009, 11:06 AM
That's it! Dual female spade connector. In my haste, I must have yanked the thing out and then wondered where the heck did that thing come from. I am determined to get at least one last ride, before the salt hits the road. That condensor is right at the starter solenoid but not connected. From now on, I'll always wear my glasses and have good lighting. I've found that my little "Streamlite" is an excellant diagnostic tool but misplaced it.I do love this LED flashlight and have to learn to put it away in the same place. MUCH THANKS TO EVERYONE! Huck

Gary Hildebrandt