1954 champion 2dr post steering upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 champion 2dr post steering upgrade

I just picked up 54 champion 2dr post street rod and need to change the steering setup.I need some info on changing to a rack and pinion and what type works the best.I have a 455 Olds motor in it with stock cast iron exhaust manifolds if that matters for room for the rack.Any help from someone who actually did the change would be appreciated.Steve

This is another one of those situations where there are more ways to do this than you can think of. Do you want a center steer rack or a side steer? Do you want power? How much money do you want to spend? I have done it many different ways to different body styles and years and could put up pics for you but have to have more info than in your post.

Comment

I am building a 53 post coupe with a 454 big block, 700r4 trans and 9inch rear end. I used a (slick street stuff) kit to install rack and pinion steering. The have an ad in drivers club monthly magazine. The owner Rene has been very easy to deal and although I had a lot of problems with the installation he stood true to his word and helped get things straightend out. ai could answer a lot of your questions before you decide if that set up would work for you. I still feel I need some help with the front end myself and maybe this post will get some answers about rack and pinon steering conversions...Hope this helps...thank you joe dipipi joedipipi@msn.com

Comment

watching thsi thread with interest. Seems like the previous discussions have often come down to it being more work than it was worth and that starting over with a frame stub and then using easily available tech might have been easier and cheaper.

Comment

Rick, It all boils down to how much experience you have, how big a garage or work area and tools you have. If you can do a clip graft safely, you can put a R&P on a Stude. Turn them upside down and they all look alike. The problem with Stude is the front cross member and the true king pin uprights. The lower a-arms are bolted to the cross member at such an angle upwards in front as to cause pro-dive. Even though the kits by Rene are approx. $2,200 or so, he has re engineered the stock Stude front end. You get a lot of stuff in there, not just the R&P and you always have to look at product liability. Do you have the time and money to do it right? If you don't buy a kit.

Comment

does anyone out there have experience with the installation of one of renes (slick street stuff) front end I have installed one and have a few problems that rene has tried to help me with, after 4 different spring changes i went to qa1 coilovers and that solved part of the problem but i seem to be getting some flex in the rack mount. When I apply the brakes hard while moving slowley I feel a bump in the steering any help would be appreciated...joe dipipi@msn.com

Comment

Joe, Will Carrol has installed a couple and he may jump in this discussion. Looking at a Stude front end the lower a-arm is parallel with the road at at ride height. The upper a-arm is angled down and much shorter. When you hit the brakes the front end dives, the angle of the lower a-arm induces pro dive and the lower arm moves in an inward arc. The upper arm moves out throwing the camber off, it also forces toe in. The kick in the steering is usually felt from that toe change. Best to buy a bump steer gauge from Summit or one of those Circle Track Shops or find some one that has one to see how bad it really is.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Alan

Joe, Will Carrol has installed a couple and he may jump in this discussion. Looking at a Stude front end the lower a-arm is parallel with the road at at ride height. The upper a-arm is angled down and much shorter. When you hit the brakes the front end dives, the angle of the lower a-arm induces pro dive and the lower arm moves in an inward arc. The upper arm moves out throwing the camber off, it also forces toe in. The kick in the steering is usually felt from that toe change. Best to buy a bump steer gauge from Summit or one of those Circle Track Shops or find some one that has one to see how bad it really is.
                Is that what makes them so fun to drive when the bushings are worn?

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

thank you fellows the discussion is really getting helpful. Ozarkman I don't have a bump steer problem and my lower control arms are paralal to the tie rod so I don't believe that is the problem but you may be right. How would I correct the problem..Maybe Will Carrol will jump into this discussion. I have more questions about this set up in the front end The car is inspected and I Do drive it but it just dosen't feel right Thank you guys the help is reallly appreciated joedipipi@msn.com

carrol

Comment

Don't we hear about problems with this rack and pinion steering setup about every six months on here? It seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Does anybody have a car with it that they're happy with?

Comment

OK: playing 'devil's advocate' here; what is the best frame stub conversion to go with on any 1951+ Stude/Avanti car? Why I wonder is I am still toying with buying one and whether I should 'bite the bullet' or simply keep things 100% stock (outside of the Turner disc brake conversion). If that 1951 style front end was good enough of Avanti's till 1985---------it should still be acceptable for a daily driver type of Stude sedan.

My biggest gripe against Stude front ends is indeed the oddball PS system. If Borgeson or Flaming River came up with an integral PS gear (that mounts in the factory location and uses Stude steering linkage)-----------I can safely say that it would be as big a hit as Turner's disc brakes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"
                      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                      X