PDA

View Full Version : LQQK! Studebaker's founder personal billiards cue!

StudeQue
11-10-2009, 09:39 AM
George M Studebaker's personal pool cue. here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Antique-1900s-Rieper-Pool-Billiard-Cue-Stick_W0QQitemZ270482183852QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9fe 96ac

StudeMichael
11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
The add incorrectly sates that Mr.(George)Studebaker was one of the founders of the Studebaker Motor Corp.

Clement Studebaker had two sons, Clement, Jr., and George M. (1865-1939). George M. Studebaker was commander of the "Studebaker Tigers" in the Spanish-American War. Staying with the company, he built a 64-room mansion in South Bend, but lost his fortune and home through his investments in the Samuel Insull utilities empire

StudeQue
11-10-2009, 11:42 AM
The MOP is original to the cue, it was found in an South Bend Estate. Also, Studebaker Corporation was not founded till 1911 after the death of Clement and George M. is listed as a founder of the newly formed Corporation. Thanks Bob

StudeMichael
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I understand your meaning now Bob.

StudeQue
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Only Six days Left, don't miss out on owning a great piece of Studebaker history.

barnlark
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Very interesting item. I like the history.

StudeQue, let me take this opportunity to offer you links to joining the SDC during the next six days.

https://secure.cornerstonereg.com/sdc/login.asp

Also, here is a link to a list of SDC members whom are vendors and their links to their sites for parts and other rare items for Studebaker fans like yourself.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Here's a link to the Studebaker family site for historical facts. You should find this very interesting, too.

http://www.studebakerfamily.org/WhoWeAre/StudebakerFamilyHistory/tabid/56/Default.aspx

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN1253_2.jpg

1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
11-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Why is it that on this site people who do not participate are free to drop in and SPAM the site with their own personal Ebay auctions?

This practice is verboten on all of the other sites I frequent.

There are many reasons why posting personal advertisements are not allowed to include:

1) Clutter
2) Inappropriateness
3) Hyping a normally low bidding item
4) Causing resentment and bidding wars among members
5) Encouraging the rude practice of posting auctions for personal gain. (as opposed to a genuine attempt to help a member find a needed part)

At the very least a moderator has to approve the auction link before it is posted on sites that allow the posting of auctions.

As far as this specific item is concerned, "buy the item, not the story".

If you did buy the story and collect billiard related antiques, you would probably come to realize that this item (if the story is accurate) did not bring the previous owner much luck.

If you are a man or woman of many questions or experiences with old wood you may look at the item and wonder why it looks so perfect and restored for what it is instead of the "found" condition it should be in if it was a 100 year old relic left behind in an old house.

StudeQue
11-13-2009, 08:19 PM
First off, I brought this item to the Studebaker Drivers Club because I thought that there might be an interest in Studebaker items of historical value, other than something you only shove a key into. I think that most of the members of this site appreciate the opportunity to see or purchase such an unique items. I came to this site because I would rather sell such a historic item to someone who would respect and display it than to someone that only wants to cut the cue up and convert it to novelty players stick. And to your statement about the good condition that you see this item and your doubt about the age of the cue, I suppose your Studebaker that you drive is a rusted piece of ____ that shows it's age. I think the only problem you have is that you are a bitter old man that doesn't want anyone coming into his yard.

barnlark
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe you didn't read the rules about no personal attacks, StudeQue. Your auction would have found its way to this forum with, or without your less than subtle agenda to garner cash for it. Nobody's buying your concern for the cue's future, so ease up, we know you're trying to get it your target audience. That's fine, good luck. We'll watch.

It will sell well, but you should have found this site much earlier, or done your homework on Google for a more thorough and correct description.

The above post isn't bitter; like me he doesn't like to let it go when someone comes in here under the guise of doing us a favor like a buddy pointing out an eBay ad. You are right about one thing, though, we don't let just anyone in the yard. :D

Thomas63R2
11-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Motives aside, it is an interesting item. Too bad about the nasty repaired break part way down the shaft.

Thomas

StudeMichael
11-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Wow,,,what's up with you 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe? Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?

raoul5788
11-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I have no issue with 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe's post. In fact, I agree with it.

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver
'57 Packard wagon on the road!

BobGlasscock
11-14-2009, 08:41 AM
me, too.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg

barnlark
11-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Obviously I agree, too. You can tell how much respect he has for our marque in his response to him.
You'd have thought he'd figure it out when I re-spammed him with Stude sites in my first post. [:o)]

DEEPNHOCK
11-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Not me...
The occasional post from an outsider bringing interesting stuff here should be welcomed, and not belittled.
Sure, an offshore hair dryer has no biz here...
But a Studebaker artifact, even if obscure, should be allowed.
At least he offered it up here.
Y'all should reflect on that.
If you personally are not interested...great.
Pass it on by.
But to excoriate someone for bringing a Studebaker historical item here?
C'mon....
Think hard about what you are saying.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by raoul5788

I have no issue with 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe's post. In fact, I agree with it.
Chip

StudeMichael
11-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Let's have a little lesson here on what is what. Spam usually comes in an email from someone you do not know trying to get you to buy or do something you have no interest in whatsoever. Studeque coming on here mentioning that he has a Studebaker related item on EBAY is not spam at all and if I was attacked in the manner that 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe did I would not have been as kind as STUDEQUE but I guess since it was 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe's 24th post he feels he owns the forum and could impose his anal narrow minded views on us. I am shocked that there are those that chimed in agreeing with him.

If Richard Quinn came on here and mentioned that he had a Studebaker related item for sale on EBAY would he get treated the same way? Well he has done the exact same thing and I didn't see anyone giving him a hard time. I am ashamed of you guys. Why don't you go hang out on the AACA boards and fight over what the cut off year should be for letting cars in the club.

Guido
11-14-2009, 06:00 PM
I think there is a difference in alerting the Studebaker community to an item that is available as opposed to repetitively hawking it with the sole goal of increasing the financial return for the poster. While Dick Quinn may offer an item for sale, he will let the item speak for itself and not report that there are only 6 days left to own a one of a kind item.

There are many MEMBERS here who peruse e-Bay on a frequent basis that I suspect would have made mention of the item during the course of the auction. As far as I can see, this poster's only interest in Studebakers is to run up the price of his particular item. Just look at the heading of the post, he uses those obnoxious CAPITAL LETTERS with QQ's instead of OO's to try and draw attention to the post (but at least the Forum software partially limited him).

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

raoul5788
11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Not me...
The occasional post from an outsider bringing interesting stuff here should be welcomed, and not belittled.
Sure, an offshore hair dryer has no biz here...
But a Studebaker artifact, even if obscure, should be allowed.
At least he offered it up here.
Y'all should reflect on that.
If you personally are not interested...great.
Pass it on by.
But to excoriate someone for bringing a Studebaker historical item here?
C'mon....
Think hard about what you are saying.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by raoul5788

Chip

I understand your post Jeff, and you make some good points. In general I agree with you. In this particular case, it appears to me that the op only came here to hawk his eBay auction, and for no other reason. He certainly has that right, but I don't think that should be a function of this forum. YMHO

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver

StudeMichael
11-14-2009, 06:36 PM
The op Raoul? Do you mean offending party?

raoul5788
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

Let's have a little lesson here on what is what. Spam usually comes in an email from someone you do not know trying to get you to buy or do something you have no interest in whatsoever. Studeque coming on here mentioning that he has a Studebaker related item on EBAY is not spam at all and if I was attacked in the manner that 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe did I would not have been as kind as STUDEQUE but I guess since it was 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe's 24th post he feels he owns the forum and could impose his anal narrow minded views on us. I am shocked that there are those that chimed in agreeing with him.

If Richard Quinn came on here and mentioned that he had a Studebaker related item for sale on EBAY would he get treated the same way? Well he has done the exact same thing and I didn't see anyone giving him a hard time. I am ashamed of you guys. Why don't you go hang out on the AACA boards and fight over what the cut off year should be for letting cars in the club.

If he only posted once about the auction, MAYBE I would agree with you , but he posted twice about it. That, to me, is spam. JMHO

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver

raoul5788
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeMichael

The op Raoul? Do you mean offending party?

Original poster.

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver

barnlark
11-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Michael, are you serious? You are comparing this guy's free auction advertisement to a long time SDC member whom occasionally offers up (which the forum rules allow) something to the rest of us from a lifetime of collecting Studebaker parts and memorabilia? Come on.

Don't post an item on a forum if you don't want responses of any kind, post it on the swap page. Censoring the post would be wrong since it is probably a Studebaker artifact.. (unless it's just a George M. who worked at Studebaker. [:o)])
Censoring our ability to have a take on it is just as wrong. Why belittle our own club members over an eBay seller's one time post?
I say, why can't we all play pool, have a beer and get along tonight? :D

raoul5788
11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, here's to shooting a little stick!

Chip
'63 Cruiser daily driver

StudeMichael
11-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I am serious Barnlark. Whether it's Richard Quinn posting an antifreeze poster or Bob posting George Studebaker's pool stick, there should be no difference in how the person is treated. Anything to the contrary will just piss me off.

Guido
11-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I have had a couple of beers, but need to weigh in. There is a vast difference between Dick Quinn and the recently arrived Studeque. As we all know, Dick has a lifelong devotion to the collection and preservation of all things Studebaker. However, Studeque's only motive is to pad his pockets via the sale of his sole Studebaker artifact. Once the auction has concluded, he will never give our fair marque or this Forum another thought.

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/63/663/9/36/86/2567936860097493054TXiheL_th.jpgGuido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

kurtruk
11-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Didn't see anyone having a problem with this new poster for hawking Raymond Loewy's money clip.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33534&SearchTerms=Loewy,gold

(sorry, I don't always get the "link" thing right)

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2617723594_889afb71cf_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/2267352611_96939dc723_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2679715309_9655c80e5e_m.jpg

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
11-15-2009, 04:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe

Why is it that on this site people who do not participate are free to drop in and SPAM the site with their own personal Ebay auctions?

This practice is verboten on all of the other sites I frequent.

There are many reasons why posting personal advertisements are not allowed to include:

1) Clutter
2) Inappropriateness
3) Hyping a normally low bidding item
4) Causing resentment and bidding wars among members
5) Encouraging the rude practice of posting auctions for personal gain. (as opposed to a genuine attempt to help a member find a needed part)

At the very least a moderator has to approve the auction link before it is posted on sites that allow the posting of auctions.

As far as this specific item is concerned, "buy the item, not the story".

If you did buy the story and collect billiard related antiques, you would probably come to realize that this item (if the story is accurate) did not bring the previous owner much luck.

If you are a man or woman of many questions or experiences with old wood you may look at the item and wonder why it looks so perfect and restored for what it is instead of the "found" condition it should be in if it was a 100 year old relic left behind in an old house.

I fail to see any of the above as a personal attack on the poster.
I am however becoming annoyed by the amount of accepted spamming on the site, and especially off-topic spamming.
I merely pointed out that many other sites either have a separate area dedicated to this, like a Buy/Sell/Trade area or do not allow this at all
I also pointed out (as others before me also have) that the condition and provenance of this item does not match the description.
At the very least it has been restored, but that is not mentioned in the post or listing.

As far as the member who attacked me for noticing this trend goes, he could stand to take a look at my posts and pass judgment afterward.

He can look at my join date too.

If he still cares to debate the issue he can send me a PM.

I am only interested in making the site run smoother and cutting out some of the clutter.

The post in question is a repeat of another identical post and is nothing but spam.

The person who wrote the post and who is selling the item will attack anyone who disagrees with him because he is not being very honest about what he is selling.

If you are willing to throw aside your integrity to sell your wares little else can be expected in regards to that same individual's tact and manners in reply.

You are free to disagree with me.
You can blame it on the economy if you wish.

It is my opinion that these things if allowed should be posted somewhere else with exception to something that is intended to help a member out.

It is my opinion that if you are hawking such an item you should be honest in it's description.

If the member who so vehemently disagreed with me happened to be the purchaser of such a misrepresented item, he would be quick to complain about it on the same forum he found the link at.

A #4 car is not a #1.
A broken or repaired part is not NOS.
Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

These are simple rules that I apply to myself and my own listings and auction purchases.

You will not see me spam the forums with my auctions, but if there was a buy/sell/trade forum I might list the occasional automotive related item.

...and that is all I have to say about that.

:)

barnlark
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
IMO, you are spot on, Nick. The seller read your post which was merely offering a take on it, responded with a personal attack comment about your Studebaker and in my mind, that was the major difference here from someone's one post granddaughter listing a car for sale from an estate and asking us for help.

If anyone is guilty of treating him differently after the "rusted piece of _____" comment, it was me. I'll take the blame. After that comment, I called him on it. I should have let it go, but didn't. Up to that point we didn't know if he was a thoughtful, former Studebaker family person with an artifact in his basement, or not. We love rare finds and I'm fine with a family poster getting them to the people here who appreciate them, instead of tossing them. In my mind, even if this is legit, this was now different.

Michael, I think we differ on our view of seller's motives, not how they should be treated. I agree with that. Everyone has a right to make a buck, but anyone who is a jerk about it ticks me off. However, if you rather defend him while being "shocked,".. "ashamed" of us and then accuse one of us of having a "anal narrow minded view" that's fine; your opinion. The irony in those comments are palpable. BTW, weren't you the first to point out the incorrect historical facts?

Guido couldn't put it any more succinctly. Enough said.

StudeQue
11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
First time I saw this sight I thought what a great venue for Studebaker cars and Studebaker related items. Most members seem to care deeply about their hobby and their club. I want to apologize to 1950 Champion for calling his car a "a piece of crap" I am sure that it is one of the most special vehicles that any club owner has seen. Also I am sure that he is not a "bitter old man", I should not assume one's age. What some are calling "personal attack" against 1950 Champion was just a response to his libelous statement in his posting. He cast aspersions on myself and the item that I offered.
quote:As far as this specific item is concerned, [u]"buy the item, not the story".</u>
If you did buy the story and collect billiard related antiques, you would probably come to realize that this item [u](if the story is accurate) did not bring the previous owner much luck.</u>

[u]If you are a man or woman of many questions or experiences with old wood you may look at the item and wonder why it looks so perfect and restored for what it is instead of the "found" condition it should be in if it was a 100 year old relic left behind in an old house</u>

I tend to react in a defensive manner when someone calls me a liar and a fruad. For that I do not apologize.
I also would like to clarify that I have done my research but I did make a mistake in stating that George Studebaker was the founder of the "Studebaker Motor Corporation" I should have stated that George was one of the founders of the Studebaker Corporation which was formed in 1911. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Also, I do not deny that my sole purpose was to "hawk" my wares on your forum. I read your forum rules and saw that there was no restrictions on refering to EBay listings and offering Studebaker related items to the Forum members. I sell items that I find at auction for a living and for this I do not apologize.
I am a life long member of the South Bend community and have often found new Studebaker parts in garages across the area. I sell most of the items on EBay and would offer them this site but with what I have read lately I doubt if I will return. Also I am a tax payer in Saint Joseph county and the city of South Bend and the next time there is a vote on providing additional taxes to support the Studebaker Museum I will have to think hard and long on why I should support an organization with so many pretentious members.
Thanks for looking and have a good life.

mdelapp
11-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Well after doing my Sunday morning review of the forum, I must say that I hope all of you feel so much better. Talk about cluttering up the forum with useless diatribes. This has to be one of the best. I guess some of folks can check my membership date and number of posts and determine if my comments are worthy.
Apperently this person must have joined in order to make a post. Who among us are designated the guardian of all posts?

I certainly enjoy some of the banter and especially the more clever ones that inject humor. Unfortunately, there is no humor here.

All of this fo an ebay ad for a pool cue. c'mon!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/druefer/Stude4.jpg

Collection Doctor
11-15-2009, 10:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by StudeQue
I sell items that I find at auction for a living and for this I do not apologize.
Interesting thread. I have heard of people selling on e-Bay for a living, but have never met one. As far as taxes are concerned, how do you go about reporting your income and the costs associated with running your business? Do you have to have a business license or collect state income tax? It sounds like an accounting nightmare and just wondered how it worked.

BShaw
11-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, are we about done with the "litmus test" for new forum posters (whether selling something or not)?

Perhaps everyone, whether you've been a forum member for one day or from day one, should read or re-read the forum rules regarding offering items for sale.

Regarding this particular "discussion"...

There is no SDC membership requirement or minimum period of forum participation in order to post an item for sale. People post items for sale and links to their Ebay ads all the time. Follow-up posts on the auction progress happen all the time. There is no prohibition on someone joining the forum for the specific purpose of offering a Studebaker related item for sale (there are examples of others who seemingly have done the same without being challenged).

Some may not like the policy and that's okay. The SDC Board established the rules for offering items for sale on the forum and if anyone has an issue with that I suggest they work through their elected SDC representatives to change the policy instead of ganging up on an unknown individual who has not violated the existing policy.

BShaw, Webmaster
webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
Woodbury, Minnesota

barnlark
11-21-2009, 01:09 AM
http://tinyurl.com/yhmo4dr

Now I feel the love..[:0] Actually beat the last NOS AM-FM.

kurtruk
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey, the same seller also has a wooden coaster wagon with four wheel steering! Really cool! Wish it showed how the mechanism worked. Can imagine how many spills occured if you were actually riding in it and turned at speed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Wooden-4-Wheel-Turn-Coaster-Wagon-Rare_W0QQitemZ270487178458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efa4ac cda

KURTRUK
(read it backwards)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267/2617723594_889afb71cf_t.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2184/2267352611_96939dc723_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2679715309_9655c80e5e_m.jpg

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln