PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Flywheel Thickness

2R2
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
During the life of my Studebaker V8, I am sure the flywheel has been turned many times. Does anyone know what the minimum thickness is for a Studebaker V8 flywheel? The car in question is my '63 R2 Lark.

thanks,

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
'63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)

Dwain G.
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure that figure was ever specified. I don't think it's that critical anyway. Hotrodders used to have flywheels lightened for quicker engine revving. Machine shops removed pounds of metal. So much that it was measured in fractions, not thousandths.
Critical areas would be the clearance between the clutch hub and flywheel bolt heads, the width of the mounting surface of the starter ring gear, and possibly thread depths for the clutch pressure plate.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff195/DwainG/MrEd.jpg
HEY, you're not Wilbur!

Neal in NM
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I have been resurfacing flywheels for many years in my shop and have asked the same question for quite a while with varied responses. My favorite response (from another shop) was “we machine them until the bolts don’t fit nomore”. I do have books covering some flywheel thicknesses but unfortunately Studebaker is not among them. If you do find some specifications please share. Neal