Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark, reunited

A great Studebaker story.

"Kenneth Scheer sold this car to his grandfather almost exactly 50 years ago. The brand new 1959 Studebaker Lark's window sticker at the dealership where Scheer worked totalled $2,516.88. Scheer got the car back about a year ago and says it definitely will stay in the family."

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/126/story/1044...#ixzz0WON9zFMM

Jersey2J | Sacramento, CA
    9G 1950 Studebaker Champion/W3 4-Door DeLuxe
    Visit my Studebaker website - updated often: http://www.studebakerguide.com

Great story. I bet they got the facts wrong about the date of sale, though. It would have been September of 1958 for a new 1959 Lark. It sure looks like a '59 in those pictures. Nevertheless, how many times do we get posts where folks are hoping their car is still out there and it's like a needle in a hay stack. That's a terrific, happy ending story and a great headline day for Studes.

Comment

He might've bought it off the lot at the end of the model year, on clearance

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Story reads "brand new" with a sticker, so I took their word for it, Clark. Brand new in September has been going on for how long? But, if he wanted a late sale, cheap ride, the '59 sure wasn't too different from the '60 models. Hey, any press for the '59-'60s is good press! Terrific homecoming.
        My formerly owned black '60 convertible was built and sold brand new in September of 1959. They were cranking out the 1960 models nicely by then trying to keep up with the Big Three's new efforts. No convertibles by any of them!

Comment

Update for Jason..and other interested parties..and thanks for the link to this story, Jason. I really enjoy the family-type/Studebaker homecoming stories that TW has, and this should be one, too.
          I wrote to the writer of the article about the window sticker and the date of the brand new car sold in September of 1959. Turns out Clark was right! Grandpa wanted a deal and got one on a last year model close out on that F4 two door Sedan; new, but not "brand new." The author even sent me the original sales order invoice form. It's not an actual window sticker, but it's fun to check out. Notice the use of "tudor" for a Studebaker 2 door sedan. Grrrrr.
          Thanks to writer, Mike Berry, for sharing this:

[img][/img]

Comment

That's a fantastic story. We don't hear stories like this too often.
            In fact, I don't think I ever heard of a car that was sold by a Studebaker dealer employee to his grandfather. Then, to see the car coming full circle back to the grandson is terrific.
            Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Long Island Studebaker Club
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Dave thanks for taking the initiative and following up on this story. You are correct it is a TW worthy piece to be shared with all SDC members. It's neat to see that invoice from the original dealer and the sale of the car. Check out what he traded and how much they gave him for it.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

IMHO, if it had never been sold before, then it is brand new.

Comment

Nice ending to a familiar story in the car hobby, to find, and bring home a family members car you remember as a child, or to find your own first car.
                  Looks to be a downtown location, I imagine this current structure took the dealerships place??

Automotive History online (forum member) has Zoglmann Motor Co. listed.

333 S Broadway Ave. Wichita KS

Edited for new picture, (I forget about street view. The first picture is a little off in its description Could this building BE the dealership in question? CAR/Dealership/INVOICE/OWNER/REUNION Party The White topped building with black overhang is the building in the picture, the building across the street is a Parking garage. Labled Greyhound express.

ChopStu

136 weeks till completion.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fstst56

IMHO, if it had never been sold before, then it is brand new.

That's just me nit picking, as usual, searching for answers. Sorry. [B)]
                    Sure, you may be right, but for discussion's sake, how long can a car sit unsold and still be considered brand new? Forever until it's sold? In this case, just until January 1960? How many miles can a car on a lot accumulate before it's actually used and not brand new anymore?

Depending on when it was built, it could have been less than a month old, or sitting there since 1958. I just wondered. It's a terrific, feel good story, either way. [8D]

Comment

Great story for sure! Boy, the price of that trans. leapt out at me- more than ten percent of the car's base price![:0] Imagine paying $3-4K for an auto trans. today[B)]

I have a 65 Lincoln that my father bought my mother as a surprise in 1968. The car was pretty worn out 9 years later, but I always loved it and in 1977 he sold it to me for $300. I drove it a couple years and got heavily involved in racing after high school so the car got parked. It has been sitting outside since then, up off the ground and on gravel, but outside nonetheless. I frankly do not know what to do with it- probably too far gone to restore, and not worth much if I did; but I don't have the heart to part it or scrap it, and wouldn't bring much either way. So there it sits, languishing in limbo, waiting for me to die so somebody can crush it[:I]

At least this Lark has been kept drivable[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bams, I thought you sold that Lincoln? Was it another?

Comment

Dave, IMHO, "Brand New" would be like NOS. When I take a part that's been waiting to be called to service for 40 years and install it in a Stude, as far as I'm concerned it's Brand New. I will concede that my 50-year old unabridged says : Recently made ; not old. Of course, this Lark could have been built in August. If that were the case, how close to it's build date would you tolerate for it being called Brand New?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1963 Cruiser
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

4961, those Greyhound buildings were there when the car was sold. So, the dealership's likely the white roof on the right side or the black one adjacent to it.

Boy, wouldn't it be great if I could find Gram's old wagon? It didn't even have five thousand miles on it in 1975 whem Mum sold the Ranch.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dave, IMHO, "Brand New" would be like NOS. When I take a part that's been waiting to be called to service for 40 years and install it in a Stude, as far as I'm concerned it's Brand New. I will concede that my 50-year old unabridged says : Recently made ; not old. Of course, this Lark could have been built in August. If that were the case, how close to it's build date would you tolerate for it being called Brand New?

I'm not sure what month '59 models ceased production to start the '60 model year, Bob. July? Anyway, my work has me stressed to the point of zero tolerance these days.
                              I conceded above that it may have been a late '59 built car. If I had bought it (even if it was built in 1958, which IIRC the majority were) I would have called it a brand new car. Wouldn't be a brand new model in Sept., but sure would be brand new to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X