64 Gran Tursimo Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Gran Tursimo Options

I am working on my 64 Gran Tursimo changing it from the automatic to the factory 4 speed. I got everything from a 62 doner car. The automatic rear is a 3.08 twin traction. I do have the 4 spd rear which is a std rear 3.31. I want to keep the twin traction but i wonder if the 4 spd will labor too much with the 3.08? Probibly get good miliage though. Is the twin traction unit easy to switch to the 3.31?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.

Mark

quote:Originally posted by Mark Plucenik

I am working on my 64 Gran Tursimo changing it from the automatic to the factory 4 speed. I got everything from a 62 doner car. The automatic rear is a 3.08 twin traction. I do have the 4 spd rear which is a std rear 3.31. I want to keep the twin traction but i wonder if the 4 spd will labor too much with the 3.08? Probibly get good miliage though. Is the twin traction unit easy to switch to the 3.31?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Even with a 3:31, it'll bog a bit off the line.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Even with a 3:31, it'll bog a bit off the line.

Not so if it is the wide ratio 4 speed. Close ratio (2.20 low) for sure, however.

My '63 Hawk has the wide ratio 4 speed and 3.31's. Smoothest driving Stude I have owned.

My '54 with the Corvette motor had 3.54's and the close ratio T-10. Bog.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick. I have a 63 Hawk with 3:31 and wide ratio and it's great. I also have a 63 Lark R1, 3:31 with the close ratio, and it's not so great off the line, even with the R1.

The wide ratio has a ring cut around the input shaft spline area for easy identification.

Fred
        Fred

Comment

My Daytona had the wide ratio 4-speed and a 3.31. I'm sure it was fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

My 53 supercharged coupe has a 4 speed not sure witch one and TT 373, guess what no bog....Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
            canbstudebakers-
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

My trans. has the cut/ring in the input shaft so I will assume it is the wide ratio T10 4 speed. It sound like I need to spend the time and install the posi unit into the 3.31 ratio axel. Aside from the gear lash are there any tricks or secrets I should know about.

Again Thanks, Mark

Comment

I have a 3.31 ring and pinion in my 62 GT with a 4 speed and even with an R3 cam in the engine, it's still not a problem and it sure runs nice at 80 mph. Bud

Comment

Working...
                X