Help daily driver must run again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help daily driver must run again!!!

Don't assume it's the carb. Go through the ignition. Sometimes it's just a coincidence that one thing happens and then soon after another symptom pops up but not related.

Back to the carb, too much fuel will cause a surge and then slowly kill the engine. Was it a rubber line that let go? If so there might be a piece stuck near the needle and seat.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

If your car has the original Prestolite distributor and it has 60,000 plus miles on it, that would be a likely suspect. Especially under a load, like pulling away from a light as you describe. Pull off the cap and see what kind of shape the advance weights and main bushing are in. Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

The distributor is an Autolite, and I checked the needle/seat and they are clean with nothing caught or sticking. The points are good as well(from what I can tell), I checked them today and they are clean and spaced. I changed them about 1-2 months ago along with the condenser in the distributor. The coil was replaced about 8-9 months ago along with the plug wires.

-Chris

1964 Daytona
        Seattle,Wa

Comment

Around 1961 Ford purchased Autolite's name, and the original Autolite company changed their products name to Prestolite. They are the same distributor, and if it says Autolite it came from an older Stude than yours...I think I got that right. Like I said, pull that cap and grab the rotor and see if it has any wobble to it (worn upper bushing.) Likewise with the advance weights. Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Surging is often caused by a lean condition. Perhaps the fuel pump is not delivering enough fuel to run much faster than an idle. I'd suggest you disconnect the line from the carb, direct it into a quart jar, and have a helper start the engine, which should run a few seconds on the fuel remaining in the carb. During that time, you should get something like a pint of clear fuel in the jar. The pump should put out strong spurts of fuel. If the fuel just trickles out, you may have a problem with the fuel pump, lines, or tank. These things are getting more common as our cars get older, and time takes its toll.

If, as you are doing this, you notice the idle get smoother for a while, before the carb runs out of gas and it quits, your float level may be too high, causing too rich a mixture at idle. It's entirely possible to have an over-rich idle, and an over-lean cruise at the same time.

Current fuel is less dense than what was sold when the car was new, so the fuel rises higher in the bowl for a given float setting than it used to do. As a rule of thumb, I'd advise setting the float 1/16" LOWER than the factory spec, in an effort to allow for this.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Ah I didn't know about the Autolite/Prestolite distributor being the same thing.... I'll check these things in the morning. Thanks for the ideas.

-Chris

1964 Daytona
              Seattle,Wa

Comment

Hi Chris, it sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Be sure to check
                your hose to the vacuum cannister on your distributor. If thats
                okay spray carb cleaner any where you could have a leak and watch
                for a change in RPM.
                If you're having trouble with the page timing out back up and hit
                search again, that usually works for me.
                Your car looks really clean and well cared for, don't give up, you
                will find the problem.

Comment

One more thing, get a dwell meter and check the points with the
                  engine running. You might be surprised, your almost new points
                  could be bad. And if you can't get a steady reading you probably
                  do need bushings in your distributor. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Cris. It sounds like you got some thing in your main jets. Pull the air idle adjusting screw and blow back with air if that will not work pull the top and clean the main jets with air but remove the adjustment screws if needed.. the carb spray trick works to check for vac. leaks but I have better luck with propane.. But not lit. I hope this will help you. Let me know ok. Gene.

Comment

After you get a dwell meeter and set your points right at idle throttle up the engine and watch the dwell reading if the dwell bounces around you bushings or advance plate is worn out. an old trick so you can drive it if this is the case is with the advance mechanism is to plug off your vaccume advance and wedge a piece of rubber hose between your condenser and the distributor housing and then reset dwell if you have to. the tubeing will hold the advance plate in place untill you can get the distributor rebuilt or replaced.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      61 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

My friend, Jerry, has a 57 GH that was surging at cruising speed. It would idle great and would accelerate okay. But trying to stay at a steady 80 mph was tough as it would surge up and down. After going thru the ignition system he finally pulled the carb to find it had a quarter size jelly substance in the bowl. After cleaning the bowl and putting all back together it now runs great.
                        64 Champ long bed V8
                        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Hi my name is chuck. Your original post date looks a little old, I hope your problem has been long since resolved. I live in Portland and am new to this computer/ internet thing. I have been working on Studes for over 20 years and have a pretty good reputation. If you have any questions please ring me up at 503.239.9183 eves, M-F. All I drive is Studes and have been doing so since 1981 so they are very reliable and really easy to fix.

Comment

Another thing to check is the fuel line from the tank to fuel pump. If it is cracked, thin from rust etc. the pump could be sucking air with the fuel...remember a Hot Rod editor writing about this problem and how its something that's often overlooked, yet causes so many issues with old cars. Kinda like trying to suck soda up a cracked drinking straw (try it). Just another thought. Junior

54 Champ C5 Hamilton car.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                            X