• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Prototypes

Found a cool site.

Chris Dresbach
    Chris Dresbach

I like the Lark prototypes, especially the Lark 100. I'm curious what would have happened had they built the little Lark along with the 4-cylinder engine. Looks like it would have been a serious contender to the foreign economy cars. The article mentions that they found numerous photos of prototype vehicles for that article but only had room to show a few. Where might I find pictures of all the prototype and concept drawings of this era?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

How about the avante wagon hoy cool it would be to take the family to disney land at 160 mph

fred

Comment

Originally posted by fred k.

How about the avante wagon hoy cool it would be to take the family to disney land at 160 mph

Let's try test dummies first.

Comment

If you could go 160 mph in an Avanti wagon, why bother going to Disneyland?[8D]

Comment

In reality, Studebaker was fortunate to truncate the 53 body shell into the Lark, let alone have any funds to make a new small car.

Comment

Yeah, but if they had... I bet the Lark 100 would have sold well. It greatly resembles Mopar's Valiant/Lancer twins from an overall dimension & styling standpoint, but with a better greenhouse.

Does anyone know if Loewy's Paris Avanti 4-door proto exists?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't disagree that it's attractive, showbizkid, but I doubt that it would have sold in any numbers, certainly not enough to recoup development costs.
                Also consider that Exners styling of the Valiant was not looked upon favorably by a sizable proportion of the public at the time.
                Remember, the "compact car" craze...as an economy car... only lasted 2 or maybe 3 years. The utterly conventional Falcon outsold Chevrolets Corvair by 3 to 1, but the success of the bucket-seat Monza coupe spurred the sporty compacts into what became the muscle cars of the mid-60's. The Falcon transformed into the Mustang.

GM offered 4 cyl. in both the Chevy II ( the Falcon clone replacing the Corvair) and the "1/2 V8" in the Pontiac Tempest. Neither were big sellers.
                Studebaker was fortunate to have all the hardware "on shelf" to offer a V8 'compact" before anyone else.

Comment

I am intrigued by what looks like a pickup in the background of the model of the two door in the first page. It looks almost like a late model Dodge truck.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by autocrat

In reality, Studebaker was fortunate to truncate the 53 body shell into the Lark, let alone have any funds to make a new small car.
                    The money was already spent. It would have been far cheaper to introduce that new car than the two face lifts and the Avanti project. And it might have generated enough money for the Scepter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Does anyone know if Loewy's Paris Avanti 4-door proto exists?
                      I won't go into details, but yes, I can assure you it's still extant.

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Noticed something odd about the 1954/1957 clay hawk in the first link on the page, bottom pic. Look at the grille badge. It's half packard logo, half Studebaker logo! Wonder what the deal with that was.[?]

Chris Dresbach
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I don't know about anybody else, but to me the first station wagon on page 32, reminds me a lot of the Ford Flex.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

Noticed something odd about the 1954/1957 clay hawk in the first link on the page, bottom pic. Look at the grille badge. It's half packard logo, half Studebaker logo! Wonder what the deal with that was.[?]
                            They were probably experimenting with a combined S-P logo identity.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                            '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Sure would be neat to find one of those prototype grille badges laying around!

Chris Dresbach
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X