Rusty fronts on junk cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty fronts on junk cars?

In the picture that Lark Parker posted of his new 39 Champion the hood and front fenders are rusty and the rest of the car has most of the paint still on the body.
    I have noticed this on hundreds of junk cars that I have seen.
    The 'dog house' is rusty with no paint and the rest of the car sometimes will have very good paint or paint with few problems.

Why is does this happen?

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

The heat of the engine causes the paint to deteriorate faster over time, allowing rust to form on the less protected surfaces. Same thing happens to aircraft engine cowlings, except they don't rust. Russ Farris
    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

In the picture that Lark Parker posted of his new 39 Champion the hood and front fenders are rusty and the rest of the car has most of the paint still on the body.
      I have noticed this on hundreds of junk cars that I have seen.
      The 'dog house' is rusty with no paint and the rest of the car sometimes will have very good paint or paint with few problems.

Why is does this happen?

Gary Sanders
      Nixa, MO
      President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
      I had always figured that since the front fenders/hoods were painted separate (and maybe a different line of the paint area?) from the bodies, they didn't get as good a coating of paint compared to the body.

Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Global warming?
        Or...
        Sand and cinders used before salt was popular?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Many times cars are also backed into open sheds and the fronts are therefore exposed to the elements.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

May sound weird,but also I always thought front fenders wore more from leaning over them to do work,and then getting wiped down,or waxed and would remove paint slow but sure.

Joseph R. Zeiger
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I've pondered this also, and will side with R1Lark.
              I've noticed this a lot on Chrysler cars.

The whole front was built and assembled separately, and I'll bet the prep was different- no matter how slight- or it didn't get the whole oven-baked treatment.

The difference takes about 50-60 years in the elements to show up.

If it were a heat differential, then why do the fenders rust up to the ends, instead of stopping where the heat of the engine would contact them?

Comment

Working...
              X