Stuck Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Valves

I have been parting out my old '62 Hawk, that I bought back after selling her in '76. I'd like to hear her running one last time before completely taking her apart. But there are about 4 valves that are stuck, is there a way to free them in situ ?

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Perhaps if you remove the rocker arm covers, you may be able to grip the end of the valve stem with a needle nose plier and rotate the valve. Or maybe you can shove a flat blade screwdriver inbetween the coils of the valve spring and pry-up the valve. I've never tried any of this, i'm just brainstorming here. Good luck

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You can use the "rope trick" - common aircraft engine remedy; piston-engine, that is.

Remove the spark plug, make sure the piston isn't at TDC then fill the space between the top of the piston and head with clothesline. Then turn the engine by hand - the rope should push the valve back into the seated position. Works great! Russ Farris
      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try, as I said I'd just like to hear the old girl rumble again, Actually it's my son that's been pushing me to fire her up - kids hey ?

Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Comment

Another trick: remove the valve cover, and the rocker arm shaft, anoint the stems of the stuck valves with penetrating oil, and tap the stuck ones further INTO the cylinder than the cam normally pushes them. Best to use a brass or plastic-faced hammer, of course. Hit the valve on the stem, not on the spring retainer, or you may have a flying spring to deal with.

I've had good luck doing this.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hey Gordr,

Yeah, I did that right off to free any valves stuck to their seats, (with an ally drift), that's why there are now 4 stuck open

Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

Comment

Well then, just keep tapping on them. Not too hard, just rattle them a bit. The rope trick may indeed help, too. But a little vibration and penetrating oil often does the trick.

Comment

I'll keep perservering, I sure would like to fire her up after 33 years.

Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                sigpic

Comment

If you can find it try PB Blaster, give it a day and you won't need
                  the hammer.

Comment

Hey Jallen,

I'll have a look, but the problem is the different names of products in the US Vs OZ. Apart from on the forum here, I've never heard of PB Blaster down here. I guess it's some type of solvent based anti-seize product? Our commonly available sprays down here are: RP7, WD40, Lanotec, then the generic sprays the auto parts shops bring in the from Asia and home brand them.

My wife wants to go the hardware today and there is a auto store close by, I'l have a look.

Just a side note. When I was in your fair country I used to go to the supermarkets just to check out the different produts available. It blew me away how many differnt types of milk you guys can get. I bought a super duper low fat one - it looked like cloudy water with a slight blue tinge, and tasted like dirt[xx(]

Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    Matt
                    Brisbane
                    Australia
                    sigpic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Aussie Hawk

Just a side note. When I was in your fair country I used to go to the supermarkets just to check out the different produts available. It blew me away how many differnt types of milk you guys can get. I bought a super duper low fat one - it looked like cloudy water with a slight blue tinge, and tasted like dirt[xx(]

Matt
                      Brisbane
                      Australia
                      Lol...I agree...I don't drink that crap any more![xx(]

From deep in the Ozarks...

Fred

Comment

Hi Matt, try their website; www.blasterproducts.com

Comment

Working...
                        X