PDA

View Full Version : brake light and signal problem

studeclunker
01-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I have a problem with the brake lights and right turn signal on my '56 Parkview. When the brake is depressed (no, Prozac doesn't help) the left front running light comes on, brightly, along with both tail lights, dimly. When the left turn signal is activated, both left lights work perfectly. When the right turn signal is activated, only the rear comes on, slowly and dimly. Sometimes both rear flash, slowly and dimly. Should I turn on the parking lights, only the front light, both sides. No rear running or parking lights at all.

What gives[?] I'm completely flummoxed![8]

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/studebaby/54wagonblue-2.jpg
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

sbca96
01-21-2007, 04:28 AM
I would guess that its a ground problem, but maybe someone else can
post up a personal experience.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

bams50
01-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Definitely a ground issue... likely in a socket (or sockets) itself.

Start with carefully cleaning every socket inside and out. Also, on most older cars the socket grounds through contact with the lamp housing; so be sure to shine up the areas where the sockets snap or press into the housings.

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

mapman
01-21-2007, 10:05 AM
this is a usually caused by crossed wires. if it has a trailer harness the wires may be miss wired. look first for the added harness and then for some repairs. sometimes a bulb can be installed wrong which will send power back through the harness. It sounds like power is bleeding back through the system rather than shorting to ground. Look for repairs under the dash around the steering column and repairs around the left rear taillight. The next option could be in the signal switch.
Rob

chocolate turkey
01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Also, the condition is called "ground-looping." It can be a bulb in the socket sideways or backwards. The circuit is taking the shortest route to ground, whether through a bad connection or faulty bulb. If a ground wire is "open" the path is gone, therefore routing the circuit through the shortest path.

Brian K. Curtis

John Kirchhoff
01-21-2007, 12:15 PM
You might try removing either the front or rear bulb on the right side and see if it makes any difference. Apparently the left side direction light circuit and ground is working ok since the direction lights work correctly. The problem, or at least part of it must be in the brake light circuit since the left brake light and direction light use the same filament in the bulb. As you probably know, if you remove one direction light bulb, the remaining one should flash very quickly if things are working ok. If you remove the right rear direction-brake light bulb and the front flashes quickly, you can cross off the right front. This won't tell you exactly what the problem is, but at least it may help you focus in on which corner or circuit the problem is located at rather than working on all four blindly. As you know, a mathmetician would tell you that you have a one in four chance of getting the correct corner the first time, but we all know it'll be the last corner no matter where you start. If removing bulbs doesn't make any difference, then you might go to checking common grounds such as battery to ground and body to engine. By the way, chances are you're the one that will be needing the Prozac before it's all said and done!

studeclunker
01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
(LOL):D Thank you, John. My point exactly (LOL)!:D:D:D

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

CHAMP
01-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I was hoping when I saw you had replied that you had the problem fixed. Don't let it overwhelm you, just take it one test at a time!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

gordr
01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I have a problem with the brake lights and right turn signal on my '56 Parkview. When the brake is depressed (no, Prozac doesn't help) the left front running light comes on, brightly, along with both tail lights, dimly.

Bad ground in one of the rear lamp units. Also possibly bad ground in right front.

When the left turn signal is activated, both left lights work perfectly.

OK, you have a good ground in both left side lamp units. Means right rear for sure has bad ground.

When the right turn signal is activated, only the rear comes on, slowly and dimly. Sometimes both rear flash, slowly and dimly.

Burned out bright filament in RF lamp, coupled with bad ground there. Bad ground in right rear lamp unit means signal filament "seeks" ground via the tail lamp filaments, and can light both.

Should I turn on the parking lights, only the front light, both sides. No rear running or parking lights at all.

Sounds like someone has swapped the connections between Park and Taillamps on the headlight switch. Park lamps have their own unique feed from the H/L switch, on ONLY in park position. Tail lamps are supposed to come on in both Park and Headlamp positions.

What gives[?] I'm completely flummoxed![8]

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

Answer in-line, hope it's readable. Bottom line: remove all bulbs, and test with a clip lead to the battery. Replace all dim 1034 bulbs with 1157s while you're at it. Make sure the sockets are clean and well grounded. Bad grounds can exist between the bulb and socket shell, between socket shell and harness, or between harness and body. Or even within a bulb itself.

Also be on the lookout for single-contact bulbs jammed into double-contact sockets!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

dave smith
01-22-2007, 01:48 AM
crossed or touching filaments in the bake light bulb will case this condition good luck

studeclunker
01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks Champ, I'll get it yet. I still have plenty of hair to pull out (LOL)!:D[B)]

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

rockne10
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
The final ground is between the light housing itself (tailight housing or headlight bucket) and the sheetmetal fender to which it is attached. Make certain the screws that attach them are clean and tight.

studeclunker
01-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Okay... here's the explanation. Thanks, by the way to all of your helpful hints. I checked everything suggested and some of it was right on.:D

Front right signal, no power from the turn signal switch. I had to jumper (temporarily) from the right rear. The wheel has to be pulled to find this problem. Project for another day...

Right rear, the odd circuit flashing was due to a Mickey-Mouse connection to left rear signal. Removed that right away. Had to do a little cleanup with pinch connectors as some wires were bared, both sides.[B)]

Brake lights were switched wires from front to rear on the wireloom that comes out of the steering column.

Running lights in the rear is a problem with the main lights switch. I have to replace it.

So, thanks again for the suggestions. They were all helpful and probably responsible for my still having hair, not having pulled all of it out.[:0];) All I have to do is remount the front tires, change the oil, and the old bird is ready for her test run. My driveway is an acid test for brakes![:0](LOL)[:I][8)]

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

CHAMP
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Good News and Good Luck!!![8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

John Kirchhoff
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Ron, you be da man! Keep it up!

Studebayker
01-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I had a similar problem with the '55 Prez. I bought last year off ebay. The left front turn signal would come on when I pushed the brake pedal. I ran it back to the trun signal switch. A new one
fixed my problem. Hope this helps.

James K. Clark
Rutledge Tn.
'55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark