Can any one tell me how to find out diff.size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any one tell me how to find out diff.size

Hi. Can any one tell me what size dif. is in my 62 daytona lark? Is there a tag or do I need to pull the cover off. Or is the size stamped on the houseing? I am not seeing a tag. This car did have a 6cyl. with an auto. trans. Thanks for the time. Gene.

If it had a 6 cylander, it will have a Dana 27, and the gear ratio will be on a tag, on one of the cover bolts. Also, the differential type is cast on the case, you might need to wire brush it clean to see it. Exactly where, escapes me at the moment. I think it was above the cover, faceing you, on the right side.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Good odds it could be a Dana 27 with a 3:31 ratio or maybe a 3:54 but I'd say 3:31 is a good bet.

[IMG]
      Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      1966 Daytona SS
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

A 6 auto is most likely a 3.73 Dana 27. At least mine was.

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will look in the morning. Do you think it will hold up to the 350 c.i.d with a 400 trans. the eng. was out of a 68 vet. with camel back heads. After the rebild its around 375hp. The trans is 400 turbo rebuild with a B/M shift kit its from the mid 60s Thanks for the info. GENE.

Comment

Gene, most likely a Dana 27. The number is cast into (raised numbers) the rear face of the lower right side web where the axle tube joins onto the center housing. About 4:00 as seen from the back of the car.

They used 27s behind the Studebaker V8s for light-duty applications. Your projected engine choice is definitely more than that axle can comfortably handle. A Model 44 would be up to it, particularly with flanged axles.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks much Gord. I will check in to a dana 44. Gene

Comment

I second all of Gord's descriptive words and advice. I currently have my original 27 (3:07) sitting with broken spider gears from just having my 289 & FOM applying force to it at a red light. [B)]
                Look for a Dana 44 TT and you should be fine. I have my South Bend 44 TT donor ready to be disassembled this month for a Spring unveiling. BTW, I'm going to call it a "transplant". It's one of the original 500 thousand 44s, though.

Comment

Eugene

The Dana 44 should be fine but remember that you are changing the engine and tranny so don't limit your search to the Dana unless you have one available.

A ford 9" or 8.5" GM posi will also work if the width is correct. You are just putting it in to a conventional leaf spring rear.

Bob

Comment

My 65 Commander with the 194cid six in it had a Dana 27. It was insufficient as the little six ripped a quarter of the teeth off during one hard application of the throttle.
                    A D44 will live much longer.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28

59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

Thanks all I will let you all know what I find. Gene..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark
                        BTW, I'm going to call it a "transplant". It's one of the original 500 thousand 44s, though.
                        I'd go with tribute or re-creation.

[)]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gene, if you don't find a small tag hanging on one of the rear bolts the only other real way to find the gearing is to pull the rear cover and it is stamped on the face of the ring gear it will be some thing like 44-11 then do the math, some say they can figure it out by turning the wheels and counting the number of times the pinion goes around against one time of the tire, good luck but know one knows how long a 27 will hold up under the Chevy power you are planning, I had a 52 star lite coupe champion that some one put in a 350 with a turbo 350 and that baby would spin for ever just taking off, car never had any wheel hop either, just smoke and spin 0-60 spinning all the way, hit it a 60 and would start spinning again but never any wheel hop, good luck..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA
                          canbstudebakers-
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Thanks Tom. I will have to try to us this dif.for now I'll try to keep my foot out of it till I can get the funds for a dana 44. Gene

Comment

Working...
                            X