PDA

View Full Version : column shift modification?

rangerrick
01-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Hello new to the Studebaker world. I have a 55 Regal Commander Coupe that originally came with a automatic shift on the column w/lever still in place. The PO has installed a 3 speed manual overdrive with a floor shift and I'm installing a 700R4 and would rather modify the column shift detents to accept the Lokar cable kit and use the shifter on the column if possible.

Can the detents be modified for a 4 speed automatic so it looks original??? Or do I have to mount the autostick on the floor[?]
Regards
Rick

JDP
01-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Anything is possible, but it would take more work then just swapping in a AT column.

64 Commander 2 dr.
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT Hawk 4 speed
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

Roscomacaw
01-20-2007, 05:47 PM
JP, he says the automatic column is already there. My thinking is that he needs to adapt the lever on the end of the column to the shift cable he speaks of. Then try to make the detent plate in the column collar work with the detents in the 700R4.

Is there already a known set of steps to do this? I don't think so. But as JDP says, anything (with some work and wisdom) is possible!;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

rangerrick
01-20-2007, 07:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by hotwheels63r2

There is no problem with this as long as you have the patiece to look closely at what you are doing and have a little mechanical ability.

Answer me this: On a '55,if the shift LINKAGE is dissconected from the trans, what happens when you move the shift lever trough the gears?

The car is in the shop right now so I cant go out & check! You have to pull back like all auto levers to get it to move, there are definate detents at reverse and park I'm sure of! I thought I felt detents, I realise the trans has its own set of detents.

(whats it feel like? smooth, or detents felt? )

Then, I can help answer the question. My original guess is that the trans dictates the detents, not the column, and the swap should work fine as long as you can successfully connect (fabricate) the pieces that don't match. (stude-to-GM)

If your column has its own detents, simply carve a new one. It need not be perfect, just a notch towards the 'low' end. I suspect there is room to do so. HOWEVER-- I think when you check, you'll see there are no detents in the column except P and L to R which are probably worn out so all that is needed is the 'missing link' to connect Stude to GM. FYI: just because a cable is already there, does not mean a rod can't replace it since it still bolts to a plate that moves the shaft fore/aft.

You may be correct about this one, but since nothing is connected on the firewall side and I feel at least P R L there has to be a dentent plate with ball a spring loaded in the pissed off postion waiting to jump out never to be found again??? Dont know & is why I'm asking the Gurus here! By the way I was an aircraft mechanic for twenty years so I know a little about rigging and have a set of jewlers files!

After that, just make a piece of clear plexiglass with the proper PRND321 decals or paint...

Thanks Mike this is exactly what I had in mind with the plexi and the backlighting eye still in place but painted over! Sure would be sweet, although a floorshift would be the easy way out!

Ranger out!

MIKE
[blue]

Jeff_H
01-20-2007, 08:22 PM
In my '53 project, I have a ford C5 AT. The C5 has real definate detents in the lever at the trans. In the column, I just left out the ball and spring in the shift coller that engages the little pits in the bearing holder under the steering wheel. Basically removed the detents from the column. I still have the notch thing that requires the lever to be pulled back toward the driver to pull out of park so that safety aspect is retained. I am not familiar with the GM trans controls so don't know how much work it is to adapt to the lever down by the steering box on your '55 to whatever hooks to the tranny. In my case, I built a little bracket on the frame where a home-made bell crack attaches. Then there are 2 rods, one to the trans shift lever on the trans and the other goes up to the lever at the base of the column. The hardest part was getting the bell crank lever arms right so that the shift lever in the car moves full range at the same rate the lever on the trans does. Its a trigonometry problem really.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

rangerrick
01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

In my '53 project, I have a ford C5 AT. The C5 has real definate detents in the lever at the trans. In the column, I just left out the ball and spring in the shift coller that engages the little pits in the bearing holder under the steering wheel. Basically removed the detents from the column. I still have the notch thing that requires the lever to be pulled back toward the driver to pull out of park so that safety aspect is retained. I am not familiar with the GM trans controls so don't know how much work it is to adapt to the lever down by the steering box on your '55 to whatever hooks to the tranny. In my case, I built a little bracket on the frame where a home-made bell crack attaches. Then there are 2 rods, one to the trans shift lever on the trans and the other goes up to the lever at the base of the column. The hardest part was getting the bell crank lever arms right so that the shift lever in the car moves full range at the same rate the lever on the trans does. Its a trigonometry problem really.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff the Lokar has a cable, so not much in the way of bell crank and geometry as in riggin the PT6 Turbo prop fuel control and propellor feedback. The unit comes with a aluminum collor to attach around the column shat on the firewall side, its just a tie rod adjustable eye ends to column eye and the link on the transmisson....Very well guys I thought it shoud be possible otherwise I was looking at a floor shift and replacing the column so it didn't show the stock lever. Thanks for your input!

Regards,
Rick

klifton1
01-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Try Kugel Komponents Shift Arm Connection kit. It has an adjustable lever for the transmission. Buy using the 55 bell crank,(modifying the length) as required you should be able to make it work.
Klif

55 Speedster
42 Champ Coupe

mjeansonne
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
I am presently in the process of converting my Champ pickup to a 700R4 transmission. I got a steering column from another Stude (don't know the make or year, got it off EBay)to replace the 3 speed column shift. Bought a gear shift indicator from Bow Tie Overdrives, cut it down and trimmed a lot with a Dremel Tool, to make it fit the chrome frame for the shift indicator. Looks original. When I move the shift lever through the gears, I don't detect a detent... maybe the old one is worn off or not there. But the shift moves smoothly through its range. Got a cable shift kit from Lokar since you can't use a rod to shift with. Haven't got it on the truck yet, but it appears pretty straight forward snd will fit and work as intended. There are detents in the 700R4, or so I'm told, so there shouldn't be a problem there either. You will need to obtain a neutral lockout switch, since the Stude has a different gear pattern. I haven't crossed that bridge yet, but remember, LOKAR sells such a switch but it is located on the tranmission.

Email me if you have any other questions I can answer and let me know how the installation is going... I suspect that these swaps are going to get more and more popular as time goes on. I tried to find a Stude FOM Tranny, but was unsuccessful.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker