Aunt Bea's chauffeur driven '66 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aunt Bea's chauffeur driven '66 Daytona

This 1966 Studebaker Daytona was the personal car of actress Frances Bavier, who portrayed the Aunt Beatrice of Sheriff Andy Taylor in television's Andy Griffith Show. Miss Bavier, a New York native, died in 1989 at the age of 86. She lived her last 17 years at Siler City, N.C., about 35 miles east of Denton FarmPark.

Her furniture, the car and other property were brought by moving van in 1972 from California to the home she bought in Siler City. She obtained a North Carolina driver's license and drove the car to the grocery, bank and post office. In later years, she employed a chauffeur who tried to convince her to get a newer car. Miss Bavier's preference for her beloved Studebaker was never swayed.

It was produced in the last year of the Studebaker brand, assembled in Canada with a six-cylinder engine made by Chevrolet and labeled "Studebaker Super Skybolt Six." Miss Bavier bought it new in California during her residence there in the role of "Aunt Bea."

The car is owned by Denton residents Brown Loflin and Sean Bingham. They paid $20,000 for it June 2, 1990, at a Raleigh auction of property the actress bequested to the benefit of the state university system's Center for Public Television.

###

38th Annual Southeast Old Threshers Reunion at Denton Farmpark in Denton

Photo made July 3, 2008

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

I have a grille if they want it....

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I think Opie put that dent in the grill when he was taking his driver's license test. I'm sure Aunt Bea was none too pleased....

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      sigpic

Comment

From what I understand the car was in the same shape when it was bought for that incredible sum all those years ago. Several North Carolina Studebaker guys went to the auction but were put off by the exorbitant bidding for a rather beat up car.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's just another example of someone with more money than brains. I met my wife through The Andy Griffith Show website (www.mayberry.com) and since we're both huge fans of the show we'd love to own something like that but not for that amount....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

I found some more information:

A life-long exponent of Studebaker automobiles. The last car she bought was a 1966 model, the last model year for the make, made in the Canadian plant in Hamilton, Ontario. Some accounts say that the car was a 1964, the last year of production in the US plant in South Bend, Indiana. During the production of "The Andy Griffith Show" (1960) and "Mayberry R.F.D." (1968) she drove herself to and from the studio in it. Reportedly, it can be seen in the latter series. Miss Bavier took it to her home in North Carolina after she retired there and is believed to have last driven it in 1983. After her death in 1989, it was found sitting on four flat tires and its interior had been ruined by cats. Even so, two Andy Griffith fans bought it for $20,000 at auction.

And more info:
            Brent's rootbeer racer.
            sigpic

Comment

Buy, or don't buy. Like it or not, and I hope this comes as no surprise, any connection to entertainment or sports figures will spike bids higher. Even for a '66 Daytona. Before the hammer dropped at $20k there was another bidder - which means there is more than one person who places the car's value in that range.

Cute story about how she loved that car.

Thomas

Comment

Guys the original post where someone remembered Aunt bee having owned a '62 Lark is also true, when she lived in Calif. she used to bring the '62 in for service at Frost and French Studebaker in Los Angeles! [:0]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I heard that her car sold at auction but I never knew the price.
                  Wow, $20,000.
                  Sure wasn't bought by a CASO.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My story in Hawk Talks was just a brief filler. There is nothing in it that is not contained in this thread. It's a nice story for Stude fanatics.

Jon Stalnaker
                    Editor, Hawk Talks
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Give it another generation and people won't know who Aunt Bee was ...the car will then go for what its really worth ....maybe

[IMG]
                      Home of the Fried Green Tomato
                      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      1966 Daytona SS
                      sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Hey, My 6 year old grandaughter knows who Aunt Bea is. Reruns are still on sat. TV. We watch it on a regular basis.

I remember when the car went up for auction. If memory serves, I think Dr.Robert Cade of Gainesville Fla. was one of the last bidders. NT
                        quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Give it another generation and people won't know who Aunt Bee was ...the car will then go for what its really worth ....maybe

[IMG]

1960 Champ
                        1964 Daytona HT
                        1966 Daytona SS

Neil Thornton
                        Hazlehurst, GA
                        '57 Silver Hawk
                        '56 Sky Hawk
                        '51 2R16 dump truck
                        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

In 1990, I was the president of the North Carolina Chapter of the SDC. When Francis Bavier's '66 Daytona was listed at her estate auction, some of our members thought it would be a great idea to bid on the car, with the idea of restoring it and using it as a draw to charity functions and car shows. I was all for the idea, but a few were adamantly opposed, mainly on the basis of the continuing costs of the club owning the vehicle. But it was finally agreed it would be worthwhile.

I arrived at the auction in Chapel Hill with Jack White, Truett Ray and a few other members whose names escape me right now (hey, it was almost 20 years ago!) There had been quite a debate about what the club's max price would be - this was a 500 dollar car at best (we had the chance to examine it closely, right down to the plastic toy burro epoxied to the dash overlay.) But, since it was Aunt Bea's Studebaker, we were prepared to go as high as 2,500! The consensus was that was MORE than enough...

Well, the bidding started and went by our reserve in about 15 seconds - our collective jaws hit the floor as it soared past 10,13 then 18,000...Dr. Cade's last bid. When it went for 20,000 Dr. Cade turned to us and said "For 20,000, they can have it!" I guess he got a little carried away himself, since he bid it to 18,000! It was some experience, I can tell you.

I'm not overawed by celebrity cars...BUT; If I could trade my 1964 Avanti for the '64 Avanti Rod Serling owned, I'd do it in a heartbeat! Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Thanks for sharing Russ. Its always nice to hear from someone with a first hand account. Do you know if the owners (Loflin & Bingham) belong to the Studebaker club? Does this car always remain at Denton Farmpark?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                            sigpic

Comment

It looks like it is a 2 door? If so it would be a hoot to see aunt Bea climb into the back seat with the chauffeur closing the door behind her.

Comment

Working...
                              X