Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on opening hood

Hi Guys !
    I'm trying to help a friend who is not internet literate, he has a 1950 commodore that belonged to his wife's grandfather, it has set for years, he said there is a inside handle that he assumes pulls a cable to open the hood. It is of course frozen, does anyone know of any tricks to get the hood open, so he can lube the cable and latch ?

Thank you in advance for your ideas !

Desoto

On the '51 bullet nose I removed the left grille to access the hood latch lever, a 1950 has a larger egg crate grille and it MAY not have to be removed if you can fish a wire in to pull it.

If the car is a Studebaker, and not a Hudson, it is a Commander!

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi...I just looked under my 50 commander nose with the hood in the closed position...here is something you might try....
      Laying on your back look up under the nose of the car ..you should see the hood lock protruding down like a bullit, try spraying a lot of WD 40 into the lock area to loosen up the slidding plate mechanism that moves when the hood cable is pulled...dont worry about the cable..just spray throughtly the plate that is holding down that small bullit lock ....then take a long flat head screw driver and try to pry it between the protruding bullit lock and the plate that is snug against the lock, twist the screw driver...dont worry about the cable it will bend enough not to be a problem...all you want to do is slide that plate back toward the engine of the car...hope you understand what I am trying to say...let me know how you make out...John

Comment

Thank you guys, I'll get with my friend, maybe he can get it open this weekend.

Desoto

Comment

Working...
        X