Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed asap after an accident

Chop Stu (Kevin) just texted me and said "Wally Croitz is in need
    of help in Missouri with his 56 J at the Quiktrip at Mid River's Mall Rd. and I-70. Just nearly flipped his trailer, near fatal accident, but needs some tire changing and muscle help if anyone is near that location."
    You can email me and I will pass along his phone number. Sounds lucky, no injuries. We don't need another SDC member fatal accident this year, that's for sure. Sorry, that's all I have.

Just got a couple pictures..pretty dented up driver's side, red fender. Sounds like SDC members to the rescue. Chains and straps being utilized as we speak.

EDIT:
    The '56 is back on the trailer already! I guess there was a spin out with the trailer and the '56J, but it stayed upright without a rollover and he just lost it enough for a scare and what looks like a nasty dent. Sorry, second hand info, but all seems well handled by trusty Forum members out there. [^]

Comment

Very good to hear! Glad to hear he is safe, and do is the car! Battle scars can be fixed, not so much a crushed roof,lol.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Cell phone pic

First off, Thanks Dave for your help.

Let me set the scene,

I'm driving the usual route from KC to STL with an 18 wheeler for QuikTrip Distribution, and pull off the highway to enter our Travel Center store in St.Charles MO (#608 Mid Rivers Mall Dr. and I-70)
        I see a beautiful coral color 56J from a distance on a trailer, being pulled with a truck with it's flashers on.
        I drop the trailer I'm hauling and hook to an empty one to bring back to KC hoping all the while I'll get a look at the Studebaker before It leaves.
        Just before I'm ready to leave I walk over to a man who's quite shaken, and ask about his car, and then start seeing the damage as he's conversing back and messing with some bent straps.
        Wally blew a tire on his pickup, which sent his pickup truck and trailer carrying his Studebaker on a 180 degree spin (early on I thought 360) into a guard rail. The picture is the guard rail damage.
        Wally's one lucky guy, not only did the pickup blow a tire, the trailer did as well and loosened every lug nut on the second tire same side. ALL WITHOUT FLIPPING THE WHOLE T/T COMBINATION.
        At first glance Wally and I tried using his small jack to lift the trailer in order to change the trailer tire, It didn't seem, at first, adequate to do the job, Thats when I had barnlark contact the forum for some assitance, thinking someone may have a jack close by (without having a tow truck bill). But Wally had several blocks of wood to get the trailer higher off the ground. So now it appeared there was adequate equipment on site, Thus letting Dave know the situation looked to be under control. After some time passed Wally's friend George arrived and checked over all the straps, and helped finish up the task of getting Wally and the 56J home.
        As I was pulling on the highway for the drive home I looked over and saw everyone was driving off.

Wally it wasn't the best circumstances in which to meet you, but I'm glad there was a happy ending.

Kevin

ChopStu

137 weeks till completion.
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the update.
          Wally is a great guy and that was one of the nicest '56 Power Hawks
          anywhere. (Not a 56J, 56J's are Golden Hawks)
          So glad Wally wasn't hurt but I know he must be absolutely sick
          about the damage to his beautiful Hawk.

fstst56

Comment

56 yes, J No. But looks to be a nice '56 C.

Comment

Thanks for the update Kevin, and for giving Wally help.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good work, Kevin. [^] This club's guys are everywhere!

Comment

The bad part is that several weeks back the wiring harness on his car caught fire as they were loading the car to go to the all Missouri Meet in KC. The good part is Wally is fine, his stude, trailer and new truck all got damaged. He feels thankful that no one got hurt when he did a 180 while trying to stop in rush hour traffic.

Wally indicated that several folks were very nice by helping him get the car back on the trailer and getting him off the road, he is very thankful to them.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk
                  1964 Convertable
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Who is Wally Kreutz?
                    Inquiring minds want to know!
                    There is a really good picture of Wally, along with "unclemiltie"
                    (and Wally's wife Pam) on page 33 of the Avanti Magazine,
                    Issue 144 Fall/Winter 2008.
                    Taken at the Lancaster Meet last year.

Comment

If needed, there is a NOS left rear fender on e-Bay.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Ah yes! The OTHER StudeBob. From my home town no less![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Wally, this is a little "left field" question, but I am looking to purchase a 56 Pelham Champion ( 2 door) much like yours. I was recently travelling through Texas and found one however by the time I got back to Australia it had been sold. I wondered if anybody is aware of one for sale.
                          FYI I have only just joined the Studebaker Forum, I do not own a Studebaker (at this stage) but would dearly like to find a Pelham station wagon. I am in the freight game so can arrange transport from USA to Australia.
                          Thanks
                          Blane

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiBlane View Post
                            I wondered if anybody is aware of one for sale. Blane
                            I can't seem to find it now, but not long ago (six months or less) there were a few threads here about a '56 Parkview in Las Vegas. Yes, I know it's NOT the same as a Pelham, but it might be as close as you'll get to what you're looking for at this time. The kicker might be that they may have installed an SBC by now...
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              I can't seem to find it now, but not long ago (six months or less) there were a few threads here about a '56 Parkview in Las Vegas. Yes, I know it's NOT the same as a Pelham, but it might be as close as you'll get to what you're looking for at this time. The kicker might be that they may have installed an SBC by now...
                              This one, Dave? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=craigslist

(Don't ask me if that CL link is functioning as my work computer here blocks certain sites.)

Craig
                              Last edited by 8E45E; 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X