41 President value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 President value?

I looked at a rough '41 President Cruising Sedan today. It's all there, but needs lots of work. The floor boards need replacing, as do the rockers. The frame seems to be solid. The trunk floor needs to be replaced. It starts and runs pretty good, but the brakes need to be redone. Most of the parts that need to be replaced come with it. There are several spots on the body that will have to be fixed, also. The interior will have to be totally redone. The chrome is rough. Anyone have any idea what it might be worth? I know, without seeing it, it is next to impossible to say, but I am just trying to get a feel for it.

Chip
    '63 Cruiser daily driver
    '57 Packard wagon on the road!
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Hi Chip....let's work backwards. Who wants a 41' President? = very few folks. What I think (others may disagree)is that there's a older gent who's got one he can't drive anymore and "it" is in nice shape. It is probably way overpriced, but after a few emails his heirs will realize its not worth a heck of a lot more than several $1000's....maybe $10K if real nice. So, for your car, here goes: floors & trunk: $1500. Interior: $3K. Chrome: $2000. (probably way more: can you only rechrome some of it ??? = NO)Exterior bodywork, including a decent paint job: $6K...(ok-back off you casco's).....Engine/drivetrain: $3K. Tires, suspension, chassis: $1200...you can see where this is going....The car is essentially worthless ! Maybe a rodder will bite at it, but it has too many doors. I'd offer $1000. and for me..well I wouldn't buy it at all.....

Comment

Jack! You're killing me! But you are probably right, when/if it's done, it's not worth nearly what would be in it.

Chip
      '63 Cruiser daily driver
      '57 Packard wagon on the road!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

ON a positive note:
        But DANGIT its a cool, fun to drive Studebaker.
        If your just going to do enough to it to make it a decent driver, and keep it for yourself (to drive) there could be some happy medium.
        I asked about one a while back and was told $600.00 but I doubt that it ran. I would think $1200.00 if it did.
        The thing is that you will never get out (dollar wise) what you put in so just how bad do you want to drive that car and keep it for yourself?
        Just one more warning... Don't let your wife see these posts (especially if she is Italian). Wheew when I bought my car it was a rough several weeks over here!

Dean.

Comment

ON a positive note:
          But DANGIT its a cool, fun to drive Studebaker.
          If your just going to do enough to it to make it a decent driver, and keep it for yourself (to drive) there could be some happy medium.
          I asked about one a while back and was told $600.00 but I doubt that it ran. I would think $1200.00 if it did.
          The thing is that you will never get out (dollar wise) what you put in so just how bad do you want to drive that car and keep it for yourself?
          Just one more warning... Don't let your wife see these posts (especially if she is Italian). Wheew when I bought my car it was a rough several weeks over here!

Dean.

Comment

Chip;

They're nice looking cars when done, but the thing sounds like a sink hole.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

Hi Chip....let's work backwards. Who wants a 41' President? = very few folks. What I think (others may disagree)is that there's a older gent who's got one he can't drive anymore and "it" is in nice shape. It is probably way overpriced, but after a few emails his heirs will realize its not worth a heck of a lot more than several $1000's....maybe $10K if real nice. So, for your car, here goes: floors & trunk: $1500. Interior: $3K. Chrome: $2000. (probably way more: can you only rechrome some of it ??? = NO)Exterior bodywork, including a decent paint job: $6K...(ok-back off you casco's).....Engine/drivetrain: $3K. Tires, suspension, chassis: $1200...you can see where this is going....The car is essentially worthless ! Maybe a rodder will bite at it, but it has too many doors. I'd offer $1000. and for me..well I wouldn't buy it at all.....
              With the possible exception of 'R' cars and Golden Hawks, this is true of any rough Studebaker. A restoration should be about the car because more times than not you'll be upside down. I was with my '71 Fury GT and will be with my Daytona.

Personally, I really like the '41 Presidents and Commanders, especially the Skyway Land Cruisers. it depends on the passions of the buyer. Buying to flip the car is a losing proposition on a project car. If you build the car to get, who cares if you put more into it than you can sell it for?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

....remember fellow cascos....he asked what it was worth...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jackb

....remember fellow cascos....he asked what it was worth...
                  To which [u]my</u> reply would be:
                  "It doesn't matter, when finished, it would still be worth less than what it cost to restore".

If you want one, unless you're in it for fun and can do most of the work yourself, it just doesn't make any financial (as opposed to emotional) sense.
                  I'd look in Turning Wheels...I'd bet within a year you'd find one you love for a lot less money. They're great looking cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hi I restored a 41 President about 8-10 years ago,it cossst me about 20,000 to do it.I sold it about 6 years ago to a dealer for $16,000,he sold it again in about a month to another dealer for $20,000 and that dealer has been trying to sell it for the past 3 years for $40,000 but no takers

Ray Martin

Comment

Hi

As has been pointed out, any extensive restoration will quickly put you 'underwater' regarding money invested versus resale value.....

But, the real reason to consider it is if you have an appreciation for pre-war Presidents and want to preserve one of the few remaining examples. If you are an individual who enjoys the challenge of the restoration process and the pride of showing it to those of us who appreciate seeing them restored, that is your reward, well beyond the financial return value.

If you do decide to take on the project and it proves to be better handled as a modified car, please consider keeping it's appearance mostly stock and powering it with all Studebaker components.
                      Or alternatively, with a postwar Packard straight eight from a '48-'54 Packard parts cars that are still in high supply.

Steve

Comment

A number of years ago I bought a '63 Champ pickup on the cheap from a fellow. It had been sitting behind his garage for a number of years. However, inside the garage was a '42 President Skyway that ran and had 3 NOS fenders to go with it. He wanted $4500 for it, which seemed like a reasonable price given its condition. Unfortunately, I think his contact information is long gone (and he may be too).

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Someone wanted to trade me one out of Oh for a motorcycle a few months back. It was supposed to be a fairly nice car that ran and drove well,said it looked decent. He had tried unsuccessfully to sell it outright in the 3k range. He never followed up with pics so I dont know if it sold or not. It was either green or brown. One of those colors was original to the car (showed in areas under hood) and it was repainted the other. Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X