Not-so Studebaker '51 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not-so Studebaker '51 Land Cruiser

I'm sure that most of us have seen this car by now. It's a really nice NON Studebaker Land Cruiser. Frankly, it's about as much NON as is possible and still be classified as a Studebaker.

I've gotten a couple of letters from the owner. Told him I'd post them here. I'd asked him what was the story on the car.

Yesterday...

"John, there's not much of a story....I bought the car in Florida about three years ago, and had it shipped to Western New York where I live. It is an older restoration...done about 1986. I wanted power steering, brakes, fuel injection, better performance, reliability, etc. The best way to get this was an engine transplant, which is the kind of work I enjoy doing. As they say, the rest is history. If you want any other information, feel free to call me. I can talk much faster than I can type! My number is: 716-632-7420. Thanks for your interest.

Bob L

Today....
    "The car probably looks better than it really is...The paint has good areas, but it also has problems such as thin spots, rough areas....mainly on the roof, and various scratches, etc. The interior, although redone in '86, has stains that need to be cleaned, etc, etc. The car is, however extremely solid with the only known rust area being the spare tire well bottom, probably from an old trunk leak. I actually had the car sold for $15K locally a few months ago, but the fellow that bought the car got laid off two days after he had given me a deposit on the car. I, of coarse, returned his deposit and now have it for sale again. My reserve price is much lower than what it had sold for before.....Actually almost half. If you know anyone interested, it will be a great deal for someone.
    John

I saw that on eBay. Thought it was odd someone went to all that trouble. But as long as everything is done well and correctly it must be a nicely performing sedan. No less a Studebaker than any "hot rod" c/k

1957 Golden Hawk
    "Studebaker? they dont make them anymore"
    sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Looks like a nice car. I'd drive it as is ('cept for those gauges).

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Non-Studebaker???

If this was parked with the hood down in front of your house, What would you call it?

Sure looks like a STUDEBAKER with a 302 to me.

Bob

Comment

You don't know whats under the hood going down the road. But a lot of people see that it is a Studebaker. And a bunch of people don't know what a Studebaker is.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

quote:Sure looks like a STUDEBAKER with a 302 to me
            Me 2.

Chris Pile
            Editor: The Studebaker Special
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

THAT'S a Studebaker, I saw the origional anti-stude a while back: Somebody took a '50 Stude champion front end (bullet nose, grille, etc.) and adapted it to an El Camino! Later I saw another just like it, but it was a ford wagon! Those two are Non Studes, I would take that '51, I dont like that it has a ford motor, but it could make a reliable daily driver!

Chris Dresbach
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach

THAT'S a Studebaker, I saw the origional anti-stude a while back: Somebody took a '50 Stude champion front end (bullet nose, grille, etc.) and adapted it to an El Camino! Later I saw another just like it, but it was a ford wagon! Those two are Non Studes, I would take that '51, I dont like that it has a ford motor, but it could make a reliable daily driver!

Chris Dresbach
                It's a fiberglass kit, not a Studebaker front clip.

JDP/Maryland
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Same difference![^][]
                  LOL

Chris Dresbach
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Fellow has the right idea, keep a stock look but upgrade the mechanicals.

John Clements
                    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                    Lockleys South Australia
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

My original intent was NOT to run down his car. In fact, I think it is really a nice one AND it seems to be professionally done. Heck, I'd buy it if I had the bux, plastic nose or not. I had told him I'd post his letters, so I did, hoping it might stir up some more interest in the car.

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Fellow has the right idea, keep a stock look but upgrade the mechanicals.
                        However in my book, that F**d engine is a drastic downgrade.
                        I'd much prefer it with a Studebaker V-8. (and Studebaker gauges)
                        IMHO, it is a nice old car, but needs an engine swap to make it even better.

Comment

I still say that is one really nice car! I would get it if I had money! (I would have money right now, but the "Lawn-Lark" keeps taking it away![])

Chris Dresbach
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                          X