Avanti A/C Wiring??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti A/C Wiring??

Checked Bob Johnstown's site and can not find any wiring diagrams for a 1964 Avanti's Air Conditioning circuit.

Before going in blind (which is all too common:-))I would like to be able to see how the circuit is wired.

Thanks in advance.

Would be great to know as I'm installing a/c into my R2 and I suspect the wiring won't be in the loom.
    pb

Comment

The only thing I can relate, is from past installations. The source wire from the evaporator (dash unit) should be a fused 10-15 amp circuit. This supplies the internal fan motor, as well as the power for the compressor clutch.
      The source wire connects to the A/C On/off switch. The A/C on/off switch is a rheostat which varies the speed of the blower motor and has a shunt to the temp control.
      The temp control has a thermocouple which senses the temperature of the evaporator coil and the power connection to the compressor.

You can connect the source wire directly to the starter solenoid lug on the buss side (opposite the starter lug). If you connect it anywhere in the existing circuit, you chance overloading the associated circuit supply, as the wire gauge used on the original harnesses is not very stout. You would then have to turn the A/C off when you shut the ignition off.
      If the original wiring circuit had the source connected to the ACC post on the IGN switch, to make the circuit dependent on having the ignition on, then I'd surmise that the supply wire gauge to the IGN switch would have been a tad larger, as turning the A/C on in a hot car would pull 10-15 amps over what the rest of the ACC circuit supplies.

The Avanti would also have a white ground wire for the fan motor connected to the chassis ground circuit.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
      55 President State Sedan
      70 Avanti (R3)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob,

I checked all the fuses in the fuse block on the kick panel.....all are ok. Is there an additional fuse between the blower motor switch and the IGN? For some reason the system worked for about 30 seconds...then died? If the IGN key was placed in the ACC position i could engage the compressor clutch simply by rotation of the thermostat switch. I also could turn on the blower by simply turning the fan switch. Now I get nothing from either switch.

Candidly I have no idea as to how the a/c unit went in.....I had the Studebaker dealer install an a/c kit in late 1966-7...but I have no idea where the feed is for the blower or it's protective device?

I just purchased a new multi meter as my T&D died after 40 years....any suggestion as to how and where to begin the testing procedure?

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

The only thing I can relate, is from past installations. The source wire from the evaporator (dash unit) should be a fused 10-15 amp circuit. This supplies the internal fan motor, as well as the power for the compressor clutch.
        The source wire connects to the A/C On/off switch. The A/C on/off switch is a rheostat which varies the speed of the blower motor and has a shunt to the temp control.
        The temp control has a thermocouple which senses the temperature of the evaporator coil and the power connection to the compressor.

You can connect the source wire directly to the starter solenoid lug on the buss side (opposite the starter lug). If you connect it anywhere in the existing circuit, you chance overloading the associated circuit supply, as the wire gauge used on the original harnesses is not very stout. You would then have to turn the A/C off when you shut the ignition off.
        If the original wiring circuit had the source connected to the ACC post on the IGN switch, to make the circuit dependent on having the ignition on, then I'd surmise that the supply wire gauge to the IGN switch would have been a tad larger, as turning the A/C on in a hot car would pull 10-15 amps over what the rest of the ACC circuit supplies.

The Avanti would also have a white ground wire for the fan motor connected to the chassis ground circuit.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
        55 President State Sedan
        70 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Copies of the original installation instructions are available, but they don't have wiring diagrams either. They do identify the wires and explain in text where they connect.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

What I would do, would be to pull off the driver side evaporator shroud first. The wiring is accessible from that side. The power wire is "usually" black and probably runs up to the dash brace, then over to the IGN switch.
            If, after your initial experience, it doesn't work anymore, period, then I'd suspect a fuse. If after a while, it came back to life and repeated the scenario, then a CB would be expected.
            Being that a dealer installed it, then there's a good chance of an inline fuse along there somewhere. It could be hidden behind the shroud.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
            55 President State Sedan
            70 Avanti (R3)
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Where?

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

Copies of the original installation instructions are available, but they don't have wiring diagrams either. They do identify the wires and explain in text where they connect.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!

Comment

Bob,

You mean the side that is carpeted?

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

What I would do, would be to pull off the driver side evaporator shroud first. The wiring is accessible from that side. The power wire is "usually" black and probably runs up to the dash brace, then over to the IGN switch.
                If, after your initial experience, it doesn't work anymore, period, then I'd suspect a fuse. If after a while, it came back to life and repeated the scenario, then a CB would be expected.
                Being that a dealer installed it, then there's a good chance of an inline fuse along there somewhere. It could be hidden behind the shroud.

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
                55 President State Sedan
                70 Avanti (R3)

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

Where?
                  Originally posted by Dwain G.

Here:

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                  X