PDA

View Full Version : flight o matic operation

SuperHawk
10-27-2009, 03:24 AM
When going down long, mountain roads, at speeds of 40 to 55 mph, I like to put the flight o matic trans selector into L position to get it into second gear, thus saving the brakes from fading to the point they disappear. Car is '64 Stude V8's with the 6 cylinder valve body added for first gear start.

But, when the car gets to about 35 or maybe 30 MPH, give or take, it shifts itself into first. Then, I feel I'm guilty of over-reving the poor thing. I'd like it to stay in second a while longer. Is there a way to manually control this, without messing with the trans pressure adjustment linkage?

Seems I remember seeing somewhere in print that if you shift from L to D to L in a fairly rapid manner that might "lock" the thing into second. Anyone know anything about this concept?

Thanks,
Larry

Rerun
10-27-2009, 04:23 AM
Larry,

The L-D-L quick shift will hold the transmission in second on acceleration. However, this doesn't work when decelerating. The downshift that you describe can be a bit violent. I would be more concerned about drive train stress than over-reving the engine. But, this is the way that the FOM is designed to work. I don't know of any way to defeat this function short of changing over to a Powershift which will manually hold in second.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'78 Avanti II
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/bradley71771/DSCF4815E1.jpg

buddymander
10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Could this possibly be caused by a throttle valve adjusted to the point of being too sensitive?

jimmijim8
10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
The nature of the beast. jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.

StudeRich
10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
As Jim said that is perfectly NORMAL, so when downshifting to Second (Low Range) just shift back up to drive at 38 MPH and avoid it or serious "U" Joint, Differential or Trans. damage WILL occur! [:0]

StudeRich