PDA

View Full Version : Avanti exhaust

satdoc2
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
What was the purpose of the Avanti exhaust balance pipe?
Allen

bige
10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
It made the exhaust a little quieter. I've experienced my car with and without and it does make a difference. A side benefit could be a little more HP.

ErnieR

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/AvantiR2/track.jpg
Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Gunslinger
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Having an "H" pipe or an "X" pipe in the system allows the exhaust pulses between the two sides balance out...one side will always make somewhat more power than the other...you can limit the difference by careful engine building but never completely eliminate it.

The balance pipe makes for smoother running and tests have demonstrated measurable improvements in horsepower. How much may or may not be cost effective from car to car and engine to engine. Higher performing engines probably see more of a difference than others. Tests have also shown an "X" pipe does better than an "H" pipe, but either is an improvement over no crossover at all.

The way to determine where to place the crossover in the system for best performance is to take a wax crayon and run a line from the manifold to the mufflers, then run the engine to normal operating temperature. After that, check the wax line...it will have burned off from heat for some length of the pipe. Where the line reappears is where you locate the crossover. I don't know the science behind that but it works out as the shorthand way of finding the right spot for a crossover.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.