Sirius Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sirius Avanti

I live in an area where the choices of radio stations are very limited. I installed a Sirius satellite radio in my driver to make my daily commute more bearable. This radio uses a "docking station" base, which allows it to be moved from one vehicle to another (equipped with an antenna and a docking station).

I was reluctant to add an unsightly antenna to my Avanti, and the magnetic base just doesn't stick well to fiberglass. I then realized that the fiberglass has little or no effect on the satellite signal. So, I was able to slide the antenna between the headliner and the roof panel. It works well, and is invisible. Rather than plugging the Sirius 5 volt power supply into the lighter socket, I wired it directly to the fuse panel and hid it under the dash. All that is visible is the Sirius radio. A purist might choose to mount it in the glove box or in the console of an earlier Avanti.

Now when I drive the Avanti, I just swap the radio out of the Honda into the Avanti, and I can cruise with the Sirius tunes.

Jim Bradley
    Lewistown PA
    '78 Avanti II
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Jim, great idea! The engineer in you always comes through!

See you at Reedsville.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

I don't like the looks of the antenna on the roof and you need to remove it in car washes.

I took a metal can lid (magnetic), painted it flat black, stuck the antenna to it and put it on the rear shelf of my 2008 Impala. It's been there for 9 months with no signal issue and I didn't need to modify anything.

P.S. I had to stand the Impala on it's nose a while back as some @$^&*%$#@# pulled out in front of me without stopping. It stayed in place.

CASO strikes again.

Bob

Comment

Many years ago I fished Lake Michigan regularly. Most boats had a CB radio for communicating with other fishermen. Being a CASO I didn't want to spend the money for a long fiberglass whip antenna. I cut a metal disc about 6" in diameter and using a few drops of epoxy I stuck it to a flat spot on the hull. My magnetic CB antenna then worked on my fiberglass boat.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I have to stop speed reading[]...
          What's a Sinus Avanti?
          (Something to do with a nose in the air?)
          Jeff[8D]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did a similar thing with my old tri-hull...
            Ran a 208" antenna wire (104" for a band on CB IIRC) fore and aft, and a 104" side to side....
            Used to run the CB on channel 38 and the wimmen' had the Van on '38 so we'd know when to stop fishin' and come in for lunch..
            (suburban fishin'....sometimes in the driveway[])
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Bob Bryant

Many years ago I fished Lake Michigan regularly. Most boats had a CB radio for communicating with other fishermen. Being a CASO I didn't want to spend the money for a long fiberglass whip antenna. I cut a metal disc about 6" in diameter and using a few drops of epoxy I stuck it to a flat spot on the hull. My magnetic CB antenna then worked on my fiberglass boat.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Pretty clever, Jim. Does the antenna have a wire that connects to the base? If so, where did you hide it?

My project is progressing and your brake booster has been rebuilt by Booster Dewey. It's waiting to be reintroduced to the body.

Tom

Comment

I just stuck mine on the metal cowl vents and routed the wire though the firewall.

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

Tom,

Yes, the antenna has a wire that goes to the radio. I routed that down behind the upholstered panel aft of the rear side window, behind and under the seat, and up under the carpeting to the dash. I probably should have noted that the Sirius radio requires an FM radio in the car.

Good to hear that you're still making progress on your Avanti.

Jim Bradley
                  Lewistown PA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X