PDA

View Full Version : winged doors

studelover
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Has anybody ever installed those custom doors that open like wings? Exotic car design has this custom hinge that they say can be used on the hawk. I have an e-mail going to them now.

Studebakers forever!

gordr
01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by studelover

Has anybody ever installed those custom doors that open like wings? Exotic car design has this custom hinge that they say can be used on the hawk. I have an e-mail going to them now.

Studebakers forever!

I'd like to see them try it with a hardtop, nyuk, nyuk!

I know a young guy who did a gullwing conversion on a Honda Civic. It was quite the exotic car once done. I mean, he made a quite ordinary little commuter bucket into something that looked like it rolled out of a high $$ italian coachbuilder. Very talented bodyman and painter. But his doors went part way into the roof, and that's pretty much a necessity for gullwing doors to be user-friendly in any way at all. Simply hingeing the stock doors at the top won't quite make it, IMHO.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Chris Pile
01-19-2007, 02:09 AM
quote:Has anybody ever installed those custom doors that open like wings?

I'd like to see them try it with a hardtop, nyuk, nyuk!

I know a young guy who did a gullwing conversion on a Honda Civic.

I believe you misunderstand the look he's asking about - not gullwing doors ala Mercedes Gullwing Coupe, but scissor doors - like many of the ricer and euro guys are doing.

By the way - I think it would look great on a Loewy Coupe!

Chris Pile
The Studebaker Special
Midway Chapter SDC

DEEPNHOCK
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
If you cut and fit the hinge mount boxes, they pretty much fit anything... And their prices have come way, way down. Some used to go for $1500 a pair, and I saw some recently for $350 a pair.
Might be a good way to keep water from puddling if the drains clog up;)
(Or poke a hole in the drywall in your garage ceiling[:0])
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

Studebakers forever!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/Jeff%20Rice%20Studebaker%20Pictures/1937StudebakerCoupeExpressJeffRicee.jpg

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
Brooklet, Georgia
'37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
'37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
'61 Hawk (project)
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock