64 master cylinder bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 master cylinder bleeding

can you bleed a 64 master clyinder on the car ? Do you have to plug the stop light switch? make lines or open the lines and bleed it that way, then bleed the wheel cylinders
    Joseph Kastellec

I have always bled master cylinders on the bench. Just run two short brake lines from the ports back into the top ofthe master cylinder and work the rod until you stop getting air bubbles. It can be done on the car I suppose, but the brake fluid splashing around on the paint is not a good thing. I have not ever bled the port for the stoplight switch.

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

You can bleed on the car. Your foot replaces your hand. If you don't have a MC bleeder kit with plastic fittingg and hoses just take a piece of brake line, I'm assuming it's 3/16, screw it in place of the hard line on the car and run a rubber hose into the reservoir of the MC. Once you are sure the hose will stay in place protect paint etc. anyway you can if you get some splash. Then slowly depress the brake pedal and let it come up again repeating until you see no bubbles. No need to remove the brake switch. When your done cap it, remove the bleeder line, hook up the hard line and bleed the rest keeping an eye on fluid level in the MC so you don't have to repeat.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

You can simply open the lines put down a catch rag and it will bleed it's self sometimes also lightly tapping the side helps if it is stubborn but verry simple with min. effert non the less.

fred

Comment

Working...
        X