three wires at generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three wires at generator

At the generator I have three wires, two wires are the same size, one black and one white. Than I have a smaller black wire. Where does this third wire go? Everything I see just shows two wires.

Forgot to say what the car is, 62 Hawk
    quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

At the generator I have three wires, two wires are the same size, one black and one white. Than I have a smaller black wire. Where does this third wire go? Everything I see just shows two wires.

Comment

You may want to check www.studebaker-info.org as they may have a diagram. My car has three wires but has an alternator. I am looking at a diagram in my shop manual and will try to explain what it shows: Nearest to the pulley is the Ground terminal, the next one is 'F', and the farthest one out is 'A'. The 'F' and the 'A' connect to corresponding terminals on the voltage regulator. The ground should be red 16 ga wire, 'F' should be white with a black tracer 14 ga wire, and 'A' should be white 12 ga wire. So according to this, your smallest wire is the ground.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

If you check the wiring diagram on Chuck Collins' website it will tell you which color is the Field, Armature (Gen.) and the Ground to the Voltage regulator.

You can check it by finding the colors on the marked terminals of the Voltage Regulator, it's 3rd. wire is "Battery" to the power at the solenoid, but the other 2 are your Generator wires and you will see one grounded to the Reg. mounting screw which is your 3rd. at the Gen.

StudeRich
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is the wiring on a generator. Also, the vacuum ports on an Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Working...
          X