PDA

View Full Version : Check those brakes

JDP
01-18-2007, 02:24 PM
While checking the brakes on the 59 truck and found 2 stuck wheel cylinders and 40 years old hoses, and I thought I'd remind everyone to check your brake system. With a few dozen Studebakers coming and going from my yard, I'd guess one out of 10 had brakes in perfect shape. Just because your new Studebaker stops OK does not mean you should not check everything. I seldom see a wheel cylinder that is not gunked up, if not frozen stuck and very rarely do I see nice, fairly new hoses. A Studebaker that stops running is inconvenient, one that stops stopping is a adventure. :)

64 Commander 2 dr.
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) #2
63 Avanti R1
63 Daytona convert
63 Lark 2 door
63 Lark 2 door #2
62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed
62 Lark 2 door
62 GT Hawk 4 speed
60 Lark HT
60 Hawk
59 3E truck
52 Starliner
51 Commander

Dick Steinkamp
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by JDP
A Studebaker that stops running is inconvenient, one that stops stopping is a adventure. :)

So true! [^]

I just did a short article for our chapter newsletter on that subject. Probably the most neglected part of of our cars...and the most important.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

CHAMP
01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I couldn't agree more!!! Between setting around a lot and the single master cylinder brake maintenence should be a top priority!!!

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

64V-K7
01-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Excellent point and further, flushing the fluid on the OEM systems, every 2 years, is important. If those, with a dual MC modification will note, there is a rubber bladder gasket on the new style master cylinders.
On MOST ALL OEM stude systems, there is no gasket to seal out moisture. You can see a small vent on the filler caps, which allows air to displace the fluid, as it drops over time, and air is full of moisture.
The fluid (if not silicone) will absorb water into the brake fluid very quickly without that rubber gasketing system. The fluid can also absorb moisture through cracked brake hoses, but much slower....

hank63
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
An easy check to do - find a dirt road, drive slowly and STOMP on the brake pedal, hard enough to lock the wheels. When stopped, pull the hand brake, get out and look closely at the track marks in the dirt. If you find 4 skid-marks, you have 4 functioning brakes. If not, you have one or more that don't work as they should.
It's a bit crude, but it will tell you if you have a problem, or not.
/H