Avanti radio question, 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti radio question, 63

Just bought this car and the AM radio is not working. It is getting power as it's light is on. Want to check out the antenna and speaker before I pull the radio. My question is how to remove the speaker? Can I remove the grill/how? Or do I have to remove the radio anyway.

The radio is not covered in my maintenance/operations/shop manual.

Thanks for the help.

1963 Avanti R2
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

You need to pull the radio to get to the speaker.

JDP/Maryland
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Boy, that was quick. Thanks.

1963 Avanti R2
      John
      1963 Avanti R2
      Marshall, VA

Comment

Check w/Jon Myers. spookys@1st.net or myersstudebakerparts@prodigy.net
        Jon figured out a way to make removing the radio with less "hastle"/"fustration".

Richard

Comment

If I decide to replace the radio, and get AM/FM is the one advertised at Studebaker Intl a good one to get? I see it is around $250, may be higher now, looking at an older catalog.

Any other recommendations? I want the car to remain as close to the 60s as we can get.

Thanks.

1963 Avanti R2
          John
          1963 Avanti R2
          Marshall, VA

Comment

I'm sort of in the same boat..the radio works but could be better.
            I want to keep the car looking stock so I'm goingto have my radio cleaned & inspected by the gentleman who advertses in Turning Wheels, then hook up an ipod jack (also in TW).

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Be careful with those Custom Auto Sound stereos. I've seen many complains about them. They may fit fine, but their quality leave much to be desired...from no noise filtering to poor quality sound to not working at all out of the box.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I put a RediRad in the Avanti. It works great for an Ipod. Everything else remains the same.

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!
                Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
                '14 Boxster
                '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
                '37 Dictator Coupe
                '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

Working...
                X