Drum Puller Fix Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Puller Fix Ideas

I have a drum puller on loan from a fellow forum member, the only catch is it needs to be fixed...or fixed to work depending on how you look at it. It would be nice not only to use it but to repay some of the help I have been given by returning it in better shape than borrowed !

I have included a picture but what needs to be done is to fashion (somehow) the piece that fits over the "nut" and has an extension on either side to let one take a BFH to it. I have found a 1 1/8 socket fits over the "nut". Just wrenching wont work I have been told. Do I get a piece welded around/to a socket ? Get a piece welded directly to it(I'll ask owner about this first) ? A straight piece w/piece fit over "nut"? Sandcast a piece ? Not sure of the expense on that but I might have a connection for it...I also know most of the ones I have seen have a dog bone look so you can beat on the end not sure good way to do that weld wise. Not married to anything, these are just what I have thought of...cheap and easy wins the day...

My drum puller is just like that one, and bless you for caring about other's property, but I would just use a 'soft' hammer. A big copper, brass, lead, rawhide, or a shot filler plastic 'dead blow' hammer will do no harm.

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Tighten the center bolt with a long handled wrench or an impact wrench. Remove that wrench and then give a sharp blow to the end on the center bolt. Place something on the bolt end if you want to protect it.
      With that said, I do not see how this type of puller will work well on a Studebaker rear drum. You will not be able to securely tighten the arms down to the drum.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Not pictured are 3 legs that go with that piece. Do you have them? jimmijim

Stude Junkie+++++++Do it right the f$$$$ Time. Never mind. Just do it right. When youre done your done. You'll know it.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jon...So you are saying to hook it up,tighten it up as I can,then use a "soft" hammer on the metal frame to knock it around ? Oh and I dont like him all THAT much..hahahaha..j/k

Gary: It has 3 pieces that bolt it to drum,not pictured...So you are saying I once it is fully under tension I might only need strike the "nut" in the center ?

Comment

Have legs...Will pull...

Wire Pallidin

Comment

No as Gary says. Tighten up with a long ratchet or wrench and give the screw a good smack. Gary here is one in action just in case you have not seen this type of puller, this one has been in use for years.

I nor my father have ever not been able to get a drum off a tapered shaft with this puller. If it hasen't been done yet put some grease on the screw threads. oh and you may have to tighted and smack more than once. Also, NEVER TRY TO PULL THE DRUM OFF WITH THE NUT REMOVED FROM THE AXLE SHAFT, you will just smash the end of the axle over and needlessly damage the threads. Plus the nut keeps the drum from popping off and hitting your toes [B)]

Edit for format

Jon Krimm
              1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

Thanks that is great news...as soon as I am able I will give it a try..might be a bit but I will report back.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X