PDA

View Full Version : Avanti Help Needed

rdmaxon
08-21-2006, 10:21 PM
As I was turning into a friend's driveway,which required a near 180 degree turn, my 1963 Avanti died as I rolled into the driveway. I have not been able to restart it and the battery faded very quickly. Pressed for time and no tools on hand,what we did notice was that the brake lights don't work. Now,the others do. So,I guess my question is,is there a dead short in the brake light circitry that is the culprit? Or did the sharp turn slosh gas in the carb and cause the problem? The car ran well for the mile or so down to his house,voltmeter was reading in the plus range. Where would you all start looking and what would you all do? I will be back over at his house tommorrow PM so any tips would be apprieciated. Thanks RD Maxon

StudeRich
08-21-2006, 11:45 PM
RD; until you do some very basic tests and checks with test light and tools, it will be hard for anyone to guess your problem![^] Many things could have happened, one of two wires that are supposed to be plugged into the stoplight switch is hot, the other is switched power to the lights, through the turn signal switch. If the sleeve on the hot one is a little bare and disconnected, it could touch ground, blow the fuse and presto-no stoplights! It will NOT however discharge the batt. since the fuse will stop that from happening. Also, the most common cause of no stoplights is a failed hydraulic switch. SO- you have a discharged or weak batt. and the more the AMPMETER, (not voltmeter) charges, the lower the battery's charge currently is![^] You need the charging circuit and battery tested. Those long Avanti 3EEE batteries no longer come in a cranking amps high enough for a High compression Avanti, so their life is short! This may get you thinking in the right direction-I hope!

quote:Originally posted by rdmaxon

As I was turning into a friend's driveway,which required a near 180 degree turn, my 1963 Avanti died as I rolled into the driveway. I have not been able to restart it and the battery faded very quickly. Pressed for time and no tools on hand,what we did notice was that the brake lights don't work. Now,the others do. So,I guess my question is,is there a dead short in the brake light circitry that is the culprit? Or did the sharp turn slosh gas in the carb and cause the problem? The car ran well for the mile or so down to his house,voltmeter was reading in the plus range. Where would you all start looking and what would you all do? I will be back over at his house tommorrow PM so any tips would be apprieciated. Thanks RD Maxon

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Alan
08-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Avanti's live and die by their ground wires. It is usualy a heavy white wire. Check those first. Most of the problems occur in the engine compartment behind the battery in the relays and voltage reg. area, there are 3 pieces there all tied together.

rdmaxon
08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
I got the Avanti fired up and back home today. Probably could have done so last night but other commitments interfered. I was at a friends house and he was just glad to have the place classed up with the car anyway. I am going to go through and run the usual array of charging system tests,checking and tightning grounds etc. Plus I will PM the battery and voltage regulator at least. When driven the Ammeter reads +1/2 or so and at idle -1/2 or so. Stop light sitution will take a bit of head scratching and digging around. My intial thought is a short in the wiring somewhere or an incomplete ground. As yet,it's a puzzler. Anyway, I'm learning Studebakers and it's a hoot. I appreiciate you two that took the time to respond. Watch this space because there is more to come,I'm sure. I will start ording the replacement parts directly. RD Maxon

bige
08-22-2006, 10:32 PM
One of the ground wires that caused a few problems for me was the one that grounds the base of the regulator. It seems that replacement regulators with different mounting bolt patterns led to widened holes in the fibreglass and loose connections.

I ran a gound wire to the frame and up to the regulator mounting bolt using a nut and bolt combo instead of just the factory threaded hole. I ran the wire in the wheel opening so it's not visible under the hood.

Ernie

R2 R5388

rdmaxon
08-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your input Ernie. I have beat,banged,wrenched and scratched my .......head and the Avanti is doing OK. I have repaired the stop lights. I went and replaced the bulbs,switch,connectors and the blown fuse. Hopefully this will resolve that. I will carry in the car a replacement bulb and fuses. I have also readjusted the idle speed. It was just barely idling when it died on me and I think that when I let of the gas to make the turn the engine died due to low idle speed. Maybe.And it didn't want to restart due to a possible weak battery and it may have been flooded to boot. Could be if I'd have let it sit for a few minutes it would have fired right up. I'll have to just keep tweaking,which is to be expected. I have a reprint of the shop manual and parts book on hand and I'm ordering the Stan Gundry book today. Next up is to find a hub puller and replace the rear wheel studs. RD Maxon

ROADRACELARK
08-25-2006, 10:50 AM
RD.
The hub puller would be the same one used on your Matadors. They also have tapered axles. There were some sources listed on another thread a while back. You might try a "search" on here for them. Hope this helps.
:)
Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

rdmaxon
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Well,RRL,the Matadors' hubs come off without a puller. Hmm. I will search the forums to see what I can scare up. Thanks for the heads up. Richard

rdmaxon
08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Road Race,just to clarify,the Matador drums don't need the same puller but the axles do and I have to replace some seals directly.

I drove the Avanti down to fill it up and it did well. It doesn't want to idle. Sounds like carb adjustment and tune up time.
RD Maxon