SASCO to SI in SB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SASCO to SI in SB

Today's SBT has this article regarding the purchase and move of SASCO by SI.

Native of city buys up inventory
    Plans local Studebaker auto parts business.

By HOWARD DUKES
    Tribune Staff Writer

Need drove Ed Reynolds into the business of selling parts for Studebaker automobiles.

Reynolds, owner of the Greenfield, Ind.-based company that purchased the former Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp. from Teachers Credit Union, had trouble finding a matching review mirror for his 1963 Avanti.

So Reynolds made the mirror himself, and started making other replacement parts for his vehicle as well as for other Studebaker enthusiasts.

At the time, Reynolds was living in California where he was working as a teacher. He eventually moved back to Indiana, settling in Greenfield, where his company, Studebaker International Inc., is based.

The purchase of Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp. is important for business reasons.

Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp.'s holdings include thousands of parts for Studebaker cars and trucks.

The inventory eventually will be moved to the Studebaker Business Center, 711 Chippewa Ave., South Bend. When that building reopens in the spring of 2010, Reynolds said it will be part of a retail complex that caters to Studebaker enthusiasts visiting the city to tour the Studebaker National Museum or other events.

The sale also has personal meaning to Reynolds, who grew up in the area. His father worked in the engineering department for the automaker, which closed in 1963.

"(Studebaker has) been a part of my life for a long time, and this is the largest inventory of Studebaker parts."

Reynolds said work to move the inventory from the old location, which is slated for demolition, will begin right away. The old site is being cleared to make room for the development known as Ignition Park.

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Bob, thanks. he Tribune is about a week behind as this announcement was made last Wednesday here on the forum. However I am glad to see that the SBT did pick up on it as the parts are on the move again and are saved for our use and the use of future Studebaker nuts.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks for posting Bob. Here's the direct link to the South Bend Tribune page for this story if anybody wants to leave comments at the bottom of their page.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

"Retail complex that caters to Stude enthusiasts". Hmm, I'll take a Stude-burger cooked medium-well please.---and some Commander cole-slaw too![][]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Son O Lark

"Retail complex that caters to Stude enthusiasts". Hmm, I'll take a Stude-burger cooked medium-well please.---and some Commander cole-slaw too![][]
          Maybe the mustard, ketchup, and/or onion on the burger could be arranged to resemble the Studebaker "S" and the chocolate shake could come in a Barr's Stop-Leak container. I anticipate this menu continuing to expand!

"It's like deja vu all over again."--Yogi Berra
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

That shake should be loaded with chocolate pellets for proper look and feel!
            Please tell me the cups are custom made and not recycled![:0]

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
            Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
            '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
            '66 Ford F-250
            '53 John Deere 50
            '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
            '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

Working...
            X