Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carmichael, CA Studebaker dealership comfirmed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmichael, CA Studebaker dealership comfirmed.

I just received from the Studebaker National Museum today the sell card for my 1963 Studebaker Hawk. The dealership was: Carmichael Cars Inc., 3842 Fair Oaks Blvd., Carmichael, CA. I did a Yahoo search with this info and found that they also sold Toyota Land Cruisers (ironic that Studebaker also made Cruisers) as I found an ad in an October, 1962 issue of Desert, Magazine of the Southwest. If anyone has photos or other info related to this dealership, I would appreciate it if you would share.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

NEAT-O!!

Any chance you could scan that ad and share it with us? Huh, huh, izzair, izzair?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Whoa, simma downa! The ad is for a Toyota Land Cruiser and you can find it at this site:

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      sigpic

Comment

Get ahold of Perry (fpstude on Forum). He lives in Carmichael. He or someone else in the area may be able to help.

KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Milaca

I just received from the Studebaker National Museum today the sell card for my 1963 Studebaker Hawk. The dealership was: Carmichael Cars Inc., 3842 Fair Oaks Blvd., Carmichael, CA. I did a Yahoo search with this info and found that they also sold Toyota Land Cruisers (ironic that Studebaker also made Cruisers) as I found an ad in an October, 1962 issue of Desert, Magazine of the Southwest. If anyone has photos or other info related to this dealership, I would appreciate it if you would share.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
          Those 'Drive-Away Shipper' forms are pretty neat. They only lack the key nos. and body no. of the Production Order, but add the shipping weight and name of dealer and street address. Sometimes they have changes on them and will show a different dealer 'ship to' than what is on the production order. I don't know why the SNM doesn't advertise them as available. They have them from the '61 model year through domestic '64 production, IIRC.

They are a colorful form...in person, the bordering inside is green, and I think I've seen some red print on at least one I looked at in person.

Did you get the Retail Sale Card, which would tell you who the original owner was? Just curious. The SNM should talk that up, too, although for '63 the info is spotty there, I know. I know all about privacy laws, but they sure don't keep junk mail from showing up at your door, or keep anybody from looking at an old city directory at the library. I think the SNM should advertise those with a gentle suggestion to attempt to write the owner first if individual research shows they are still at the address. The forms are available from the '60 model year, through '66.

Your vehicle was shipped by rail. I have no idea what the "SLSF" indication, nor the "3095" or "92-15" indications. I believe the "SF" would be "San Francisco", and it may be a coincidence, but the base retail of a '63 GT was $3,095.00. The "DLY 6" means, I think, that that car was part of a six-car delivery for that dealer--although I'm not sure; seems I've seen that kind of thing before on a Drive-Away Shipper.

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
          '64 Daytona Hardtop
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Hi Bill, I guess I misidentified this as a Sell Card. I dont know what an actual Sale Card looks like being, as you mentioned, 1963 records are lacking in some cases like mine. I figure any info I can obtain about my car is better than no info. I find these historical details very interesting and agree that the museum should mention such documents as being available. I'm certain they could use the money! By the way, I received this and some basic information about my hometown dealership that sold Studes for a short time, all for $29.50 including postage.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
            sigpic

Comment

Carmichael is a suburb of Sacramento, CA. I did a search of that area on google, mapquest and thomas guide. Mapquest shows a vacant lot. Its in what is now a residential area. It appears that the lot is prepped for one or more high end residences. That area is one of the high rent districts of Sacramento. I've worked on some pretty spectacular homes in that area. Another town near Sacramento is Roseville where there was a Chester Palmer Nissan which was once a Stude dealer.

sals54
              sals54

Comment

This is great information. I recently got a license plate frame from Carmichael Cars, (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=31750) but have not been able to find out anything about the company. Right now I am 9 time zones east of Carmichael in Poland, but when I get home I will check out the site. Sal is more aware of the area than I am. I really like getting this type of information.

Perry
                '23 Special Six,
                '50 Business Champ,
                '50 Starlight Champ,
                '60 Lark droptop,
                '63 GT R1
                Perry
                \'50 Business Champion
                \'50 Starlight Champion
                \'60 Lark Convertible,
                \'63 GT R1,
                \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

quote:Originally posted by fpstude

Last weekend at the Reno Swat Meet at Arco arena in Sacramento I obtained this license plate frame. Actually it was located by out club president, Steve Rainville, who offered it to me, since we live in Carmichael. What a guy! It cleaned up pretty well and I painted the white background. What is even more special is the YOM plates were on my wife'a parents car when she was growing up. They were on a 1950 Chevrolet.

Perry
                  '23 Special Six,
                  '50 Business Champ,
                  '50 Starlight Champ,
                  '60 Lark droptop,
                  '63 GT R1
                  Perry, If you ever find another such frame, I might be interested in purchasing it for my 'Carmichael Hawk'. I hope you find more info for this company. By the way, are there any Studes in Poland??

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                  sigpic

Comment

No Studebakers seen in Poland. If you get a little further east you find folks who know of Studebaker trucks. They were shipped to Russia in WW II.

Perry
                    '23 Special Six,
                    '50 Business Champ,
                    '50 Starlight Champ,
                    '60 Lark droptop,
                    '63 GT R1
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Pretty sure SLSF is for 'Saint Louis and San Francisco Railroad', better known as the 'Frisco'.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Anybody know specifically what ML NYC CBQ DRGW SP MILPITAS CONV stands for? Could 92-15 refer to a special option package?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                        sigpic

Comment

Anybody know specifically what ML NYC CBQ DRGW SP MILPITAS CONV stands for? Could 92-15 refer to a special option package?

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                          I know "NYC" stands for New York Central. I believe the letters stand for the various rail carriers, and lastly, common carriers or the like, that got the car from South Bend to Carmichael.

I don't believe those numbers are for any special option package. As far as I've seen, all options are listed in the center of form, with a written description.

At this website you can see what a '63 Retail Sale Card looks like (second image from the bottom):

If by chance your car wasn't sold until Sept. '63 or later, the dealer should also have filled out the more-detailed card shown first image from the bottom of the page in the link.

The style mentioned first is in serial no. order at the SNM; the more-detailed card is stored by month of sale, then by dealer code number.

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          '64 Daytona Hardtop

Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Thanks Bill, I just added that page to my favorites. The red '63 hardtop at the bottom is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I noticed on one of the forms that the number 92 is for SERVICE FOR RETAIL DELY, although its shown near the bottom of the form.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bill, I just added that page to my favorites. The red '63 hardtop at the bottom is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. I noticed on one of the forms that the number 92 is for SERVICE FOR RETAIL DELY, although its shown near the bottom of the form.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
                              Paul's '63 is a great-looking car, agreed! My own '63 is jealous of its bucket seats and Powershift!

The production order and Drive-Away Shipper shown on that page of the link are both from my '63. It was picked up at the factory by the original owner...who contacted me about six or eight weeks ago, wanting to buy the car to use as a driver in Phoenix! He thought my price was high, and then I think I might have talked him out of using the car as a daily driver...he wanted to sell his one modern vehicle and use the Stude to replace it[8] He later emailed and said he reconsidered, but wanted to see the car when they came back east next year. I would love to meet him and have him see the car.

Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              '64 Daytona Hardtop
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X