Who has a '60 Lark 4-door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a '60 Lark 4-door?

I have commenced work on the little '60 Lark 4-door I got from Dick Steinkamp. This car was hit hard in the left rear door, and the "B" pillar is pushed in pretty bad. Next to no damage to the driver's door or "C" pillar, fortunately.

I plan to use a Porta-Power to jack the "B" pillar back out, but I need some working dimensions. If somebody here with a '60 Lark could take a tape measure and find the interior width between the two "B" pillars at 3 points, that would give me a target to shoot for.

What I'd like to have:

1. Top: interior width between pillars at the level of the top of the door openings. Cardboard to cardboard; no need to strip the interior trim.

2. Middle: same measurement, taken at the level of the front door striker plates.

3. Bottom: same measurement, taken with the tape level, and resting on the transmission tunnel. That'll put it a couple of inches above the floor on each side.

I have a '63 4-door here. If someone has certain knowledge that the interior width at the "B" pillar is the same between '60 and '63, I can measure that myself.

These should take all of about 10 minutes to get, no disassembly required. If the seat gets in the way of taking any measurement, just measure the closest accessible point, and make a note of where it is.

The rocker panel is really crushed under the left rear door opening. I plan to cut it just ahead of the "B" pillar, then cut the spot welds holding the rear half to the floor and take the rear half out. I can work it straight on the bench, and weld it back on later, and with the rocker panel removed, the floor will pull easier. Straightening one layer of metal, not two.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Plan on posting any before pictures, Gord? My car is in storage elsewhere, or I'd at least give you the lower measurements for comparison. Sorry. Good luck, that's a nice looking car. I'm anxious to see your latest artistry. How's the truck's gas tank/system coming along?

Comment

I've got a 61 4 door- that help any?

Evan Davis
      Prairie Bulletin
      Saskatchewan Chapter
      Prince Albert, Sk
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Here's from the truck specifications book showing the outside-to-outside dims:

Craig

Comment

I have a 60 4 door but right now its not here, although I hope to have it moved here in the next week or so. It would be a good one since there is no sign of a collision on the car. If you can wait or need any dimentions I would be more than happy to help as much as I can.

60 Lark convertible
          61 Champ
          62 Daytona convertible
          63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2)
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is that one of those items from the Ross stash, Warren?

Comment

Barnlark, the truck fuel tank works fine. I will have to go through the carburetor, though. But I did drive it over a mile the other day. Fuel gets to the carb just fine.

Yes, before I start the body repair on the Lark, I'll take some before pictures.

Comment

Gord,
                I have an "empty" '59 4-door that I'll get those measurements for you this afternoon.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Not for nothing but how about pulling measurements from the other side of the car if it is not damaged.

fred

Comment

No Dave. Its a parts car I bought a few years ago after I got my 60 convertible. Its still in Redondo Beach waiting to come here.

60 Lark convertible
                    61 Champ
                    62 Daytona convertible
                    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2)
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Fred, the other side of the car is undamaged, but the left pillar has been pushed in. I could get a template of the proper curvature from the other side, alright, but I also need to know how far to pull the floor back out.

Thanks in advance, Ray. I'm sure '59 and '60 share the same dimensions.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Plan on posting any before pictures, Gord?
                        Here's the good side...

Here's the not so good side...

This one shows pretty good the distortion of the driver's side B pillar that Gord is going to straighten...

This was a picture of the rear that was a TW back cover last year...

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I do have a 60 4dr Lark. the front clip is gone; the rest of the
                          car is intact. I am saving the frame front parts; Tranny, rear end.
                          Maybe you use the other parts.

Ed

Comment

Gord, this isn't much help for the dent, but I have a matching driver's seat bottom and backs to those blue seats. Won't match the dash, but it's like new. If yours is ripped, it's yours for free. Sounds like Ray has what you need for the measurements. [^]

Comment

As I am not experienced in this, this might be dumb. Can you fit the B pillar to the front door when closed properly? I'm sure the measurements will help a lot more.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Working...
                              X