Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a new member to the studebaker drivers club. I have always loved studebakers since my brother bought one 25 years ago--He has owned a hawk and a Lark. I finally got the house paid off so a Studebaker is next on the list. I'm looking for one of the "finned" Hawks---1957 to 1961 (although these guys may be hard to come by). I live near Cincinnati, Ohio. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. Also, any words of wisdom will be appreciated!---Regards----Dan

Welcome to the club, Dan. You'll find a wealth of information by reading the club magazine Turning Wheels, reading these forum posts, and atending Studebaker related meets.

Finding a good Hawk for sale is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Keep watching ebay too. You might have to buy one from some distance away. Anyhow, welcome again and good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the club, Dan. You'll find a wealth of information by reading the club magazine Turning Wheels, reading these forum posts, and atending Studebaker related meets.

Finding a good Hawk for sale is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Keep watching ebay too. You might have to buy one from some distance away. Anyhow, welcome again and good luck.

Comment

Welcome! Finned Hawks are out there! Hope you find one. When you do post it on this forum!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Welcome! Finned Hawks are out there! Hope you find one. When you do post it on this forum!

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Welcome aboard, Dan. You are in a good area; there are lots of enthusiastic Stude folks in and around Cincinnati. Nelson Bove and Larry "Scotty" Scott come to mind.

Finned Hawks range from $500 parts car shells to $25,000 (and higher) 1957-1958 Golden Hawks. Generally speaking, the more you pay, the less work you have to do. If you can tolerate a six-cylinder model, the appearance will be the same but you'll save a bundle on the initial purchase price...and you are almost guaranteed no speeding tickets!

Stay tuned to the group, here. Plan to attend the National Meet in June in South Bend. You may find a car there for sale, or at least experience much eyes-on observation and hands-on market-shopping. [:I][8D] BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Dan. You are in a good area; there are lots of enthusiastic Stude folks in and around Cincinnati. Nelson Bove and Larry "Scotty" Scott come to mind.

Finned Hawks range from $500 parts car shells to $25,000 (and higher) 1957-1958 Golden Hawks. Generally speaking, the more you pay, the less work you have to do. If you can tolerate a six-cylinder model, the appearance will be the same but you'll save a bundle on the initial purchase price...and you are almost guaranteed no speeding tickets!

Stay tuned to the group, here. Plan to attend the National Meet in June in South Bend. You may find a car there for sale, or at least experience much eyes-on observation and hands-on market-shopping. [:I][8D] BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Dan! It's a pretty great brotherhood you've joined.

In addition to eBay and the Turning Wheels classifieds, be sure to check Craigslist in your metro. It's amazing how many cars turn up there.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Welcome aboard, Dan! It's a pretty great brotherhood you've joined.

In addition to eBay and the Turning Wheels classifieds, be sure to check Craigslist in your metro. It's amazing how many cars turn up there.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks to everyone who made me feel welcome! Thanks for your reply.
                    I will keep in touch & keep looking for a hawk--Regards Dan

PS---I'm not exactly sure how to use this forum but I guess trial & error will help

Comment

Thanks to everyone who made me feel welcome! Thanks for your reply.
                      I will keep in touch & keep looking for a hawk--Regards Dan

PS---I'm not exactly sure how to use this forum but I guess trial & error will help

Comment

You're doing OK so far, Dan. It should be relativly easy to find a decent finned Hawk to love. One thing I will advise you of is that it's WELL worth your time to consider buying a Stude from the SW US, since rust issues with cars from the "Salt Belt" can cost WAY more to patch together than the cost to have one shipped to Ohio.[:I]

Welcome to the world of Studebakering! Do consider attending the upcoming SDC International meet in South Bend IN this coming June. You might find a Hawk there to adopt. At the very least, you can compare the various finned Hawks to see if there's a particular model that strikes your fancy![:0][][^]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You're doing OK so far, Dan. It should be relativly easy to find a decent finned Hawk to love. One thing I will advise you of is that it's WELL worth your time to consider buying a Stude from the SW US, since rust issues with cars from the "Salt Belt" can cost WAY more to patch together than the cost to have one shipped to Ohio.[:I]

Welcome to the world of Studebakering! Do consider attending the upcoming SDC International meet in South Bend IN this coming June. You might find a Hawk there to adopt. At the very least, you can compare the various finned Hawks to see if there's a particular model that strikes your fancy![:0][][^]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome Dan. I'm nearly a newbie. Only 6 months in the Club. You'll
                            find a lot of information here. The members are very helpful to the
                            not-so-well-informed.

James K. Clark
                            East Tenn.
                            '55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
                            Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Comment

Welcome Dan. I'm nearly a newbie. Only 6 months in the Club. You'll
                              find a lot of information here. The members are very helpful to the
                              not-so-well-informed.

James K. Clark
                              East Tenn.
                              '55 Prez. 2dr Hdtp.
                              Don't take yourself too seriously!

James K. Clark

Comment

Working...
                              X