Ammeter won't show charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammeter won't show charge

I had been noticing erratic behavior with the ammeter in my 54 Land Cruiser. Then the battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. I replaced the battery and everything was great except thet the ammeter doesn't show a charge at any time. It does show discharge when the lights are on or the fan or the directionals but no matter how fast the engine is reving, the ammeter won't show a charge.

Sometimes, not always, you have to repolarize the generator. This needs to be done when either the generator or the battery has been disconnected.

This involves striking the B and G terminals on the voltage regulator briefly with a wire. It sorta "gets its attention". Do it with the engine off.

Without doing this, the generator isn't generating.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    ....On the road, again....
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

The Shop Manual will provide a complete diagnosis, but as a first step, I would check your generator to determine its output.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I also replaced the voltage regulator....no change

Comment

I did re-polarize the regulator as outlined in the manual. I think you only need to re-polarize after un-hiiking either the regulator or the generator. How do I check the generator output??

Comment

You may not see a charge rate on a new fully charged battery.

A check with a volt meter would verify that the charging system is working as it should. 14 volts or thereabouts when the engine is running maeans everything is OK. The AMP meter is a rate of charge indicator and if no charge is needed, no + reading.

You probably don't have a problem, at all.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

for some reason, I can't see replies unless I reply

Comment

Do I check the woltage from gen to groound/

Comment

Hook it up to the battery...check voltage with the car off and then running. It should read 1-2 volts higher if it's charging OK and lower if it's not.

ErnieR

Best so far 15.065 @ 91.84 MPH Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Summer 2009.

Comment

Or... leave your lights on for an hour (with the engine off), then check it. It should be charging by then.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

////

Comment

Working...
                      X