View Full Version : Fuel Pump Problems... Again

10-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Once again I am having what I believe to be fuel pump problems. I find that I am having to turn on the electronic pump to keep the car running. I have an Air Tek (it took several before this one worked) and would like to get a Carter Pump. I have tried to email Fairborn, but can't seem to get an email through to them.

Does anyone have a Carter Pump that I could purchase? Or even Fairborn's email address other than the one on their website for contact?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Chucks Stude
10-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Call Bob Helm in Royce City, Texas. He adverises Carter pumps in the TW. His phone number is 972-843-3402. Call him after 6:00 PM. Central time.

Chucks Stude
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Man, I need to check my spelling before I send a reply.

10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
If you are having issues getting sufficient flow of gas to the carburetor, you may have a partially plugged fuel line.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
MN iron ore...it does your body good.

10-15-2009, 07:50 AM
"I am having to turn on the electronic pump to keep the car running."

You mean, like in "vapor-lock"?

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
55 President State Sedan
70 Avanti (R3)

10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
No, I don't believe its vapor lock. The car is running and its not nearly as hot as it has been in the past.

10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Could be sucking air from a cracked hose or a hard line.

10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Do you have a fuel filter somewhere before the carb? Preferably back at the gas tank. Russ Farris

10-17-2009, 02:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by winchesterhawk

Could be sucking air from a cracked hose or a hard line.
I agree. I had this happen on the '55 Champion I once had. The mechanical pump will have difficulty pulling gasoline through the line from the gas tank if air is getting into the fuel line. ~Dale

10-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the ideas. But since I have been having various problems (which wound up being the points, cured by a new Pertronix Ignition System), I changed all the fuel filters and rubber lines in the system. Another odd thing is that I haven't had a problem in a day or two. I had to try at least three Air Tek fuel pumps before I found one that worked when I replaced the fuel pump the last time. That's why I suspect the fuel pump.:)

Dan Timberlake
10-17-2009, 08:50 AM

pressure and volume delivered (or just good flow) can also be tested separately, right on the car.

A relatively inexpensive, multi purpose tool works fine on a typical low pressure carburetor system

I like to plumb a gage in with a T, tape the gage to the windshield, and monitor the pressure while driving around daring it to act up. If the pressure is correct while the problem is apparent, I can safely (and economically) ignore the tank, gas cap, fuel lines, pump(s), and filter(s) upstream from the test point

10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Fairborn Studebaker email is stude6@yahoo.com