Fuel Pump Problems... Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Problems... Again

Once again I am having what I believe to be fuel pump problems. I find that I am having to turn on the electronic pump to keep the car running. I have an Air Tek (it took several before this one worked) and would like to get a Carter Pump. I have tried to email Fairborn, but can't seem to get an email through to them.

Does anyone have a Carter Pump that I could purchase? Or even Fairborn's email address other than the one on their website for contact?

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Call Bob Helm in Royce City, Texas. He adverises Carter pumps in the TW. His phone number is 972-843-3402. Call him after 6:00 PM. Central time.

Comment

Man, I need to check my spelling before I send a reply.

Comment

If you are having issues getting sufficient flow of gas to the carburetor, you may have a partially plugged fuel line.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
        MN iron ore...it does your body good.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

"I am having to turn on the electronic pump to keep the car running."

You mean, like in "vapor-lock"?

Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk
          55 President State Sedan
          70 Avanti (R3)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

No, I don't believe its vapor lock. The car is running and its not nearly as hot as it has been in the past.

Comment

Could be sucking air from a cracked hose or a hard line.

Comment

Do you have a fuel filter somewhere before the carb? Preferably back at the gas tank. Russ Farris
                1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by winchesterhawk

Could be sucking air from a cracked hose or a hard line.
                  I agree. I had this happen on the '55 Champion I once had. The mechanical pump will have difficulty pulling gasoline through the line from the gas tank if air is getting into the fuel line. ~Dale

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. But since I have been having various problems (which wound up being the points, cured by a new Pertronix Ignition System), I changed all the fuel filters and rubber lines in the system. Another odd thing is that I haven't had a problem in a day or two. I had to try at least three Air Tek fuel pumps before I found one that worked when I replaced the fuel pump the last time. That's why I suspect the fuel pump.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

pressure and volume delivered (or just good flow) can also be tested separately, right on the car.

A relatively inexpensive, multi purpose tool works fine on a typical low pressure carburetor system
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I like to plumb a gage in with a T, tape the gage to the windshield, and monitor the pressure while driving around daring it to act up. If the pressure is correct while the problem is apparent, I can safely (and economically) ignore the tank, gas cap, fuel lines, pump(s), and filter(s) upstream from the test point

Comment

Fairborn Studebaker email is stude6@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                        X