Not a good Studebaker day...update resolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a good Studebaker day...update resolved

Well, today I changed out the freeze plugs due to one seeping. Now the car had developed another problem. I got around the corner on the test run and the engine started sputtering. When I tried to give it gas, the engine sputtered and died. It started back up, but again when I tried to give it gas, it did it again and this time failed to start in the middle of a busy intersection. put the car in second gear and used the starter to get it out of the way of traffic. about 100 feet around the corner it started back up. I pulled into a parking lot and it ran ok. I got it to get back home and when i pulled in the garage the engine died. The fuel filter is full of gas. I pulled the distributor and checked and cleaned the points.. it started up and ran for a couple minutes then shut down. I let it sit about 5 minutes, pumped the pedal twice and it started back up, but was idling very low. So, I adjusted the advance and it got a little better ran for a minute and then shut down again. The points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs and plug wires are all new as are the fuel pump and all rubber lines running from front to back. I pulled the coil wire and cranked it over. I could hear the snapping noise of the spark at the end of the wire. What am I missing? Thanks

That sounds like a classic fuel problem. Filter may be close to full but unplugs enough to get gas when you stop or the screen in the tank my have something partially covering it. I think Gord had the same idea a while back in response to a similiar problem.

Just a thought

Bob

Comment

I had that happen to me once. What I found after tearing down the carb a couple of times was that I had missed looking at the little screen wire looking filter at the inlet fitting going into the carb. When I finally looked, I found a hard shell beetle wing that apparently had found its way into my fuel system. It would allow enough gas for the car to run great at an idle but with actual highway demand it would flap up in the line and starve the engine for sufficient fuel flow. A similar situation could occur at the pickup in the tank. Also, tiny debris or water droplets in the carb can cause the same symptoms. After the car sits a few moments, the debris will fall back out of the way and allow fuel flow again. I'm not convinced this is you problem, but is a problem I have encountered myself to cause the problem you describe.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Both Bob and John are right on, I've had the situation John described myself.

If you don't know if the fuel tank has been off the car and cleaned out, you have potentially 46 years of debris and other junk like sand, ect. I've seen my garaged cars gain an unbelievable amount of fuel tank trash in ten years between removal and cleaning.

One shortcoming (only one?) of Studebakers is the lack of a finger screen on the fuel pick-up tube; even AMC had them. So rust flakes and God knows what else can either block the end of the pick-up or travel up the fuel line causing all kinds of mischief, as John found out. Once the tank is cleaned, I install an in-line fuel filter just ahead of the tank. Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Maybe float misadjusted.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Well.. after hearing the fuel thing and a note offline from a very helpful member I found the problem and also why being a CASO isn't such a great thing. It definitely was a fuel problem.. Let me preface by saying I filled it up yesterday... the tank was bone dry. The fuel sender isn't working on the car and I've been filling it up every three days. I drive it about 10 miles/day. If I weren't such a CASO, I'd have bought a new float and this wouldn't have happened. I put some gas in and primed the carb. Just filled it up and looked for any signs of leaks.. there are none. The only thing I can think is the gas was siphoned overnight while the car was in the carport while the freeze plugs were off. A couple good things came out of this.. A.. because I thought it was a disty problem, I re-did the points, dwell and timing and relubed the backing plate, etc. The car runs better than it ever has. Now to make a run to Autozone for a locking gas cap before they close tonight. Thanks for all the help guys and sorry to bother you with something so stupid.

Comment

The gas gauge works only when it feels like it in my Hawk (bad ground?). Anyway, I carry a small notebook in my glovebox and I write down the mileage everytime I fill up and I can use this to estimate when I need to refill the tank. However, this means nothing if a neighbor helps himself to the gas in the tank. [B)]

Brent's rootbeer racer.
              MN iron ore...it does your body good.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

the odometer doesnt work right.. registers 1/2 mile for every 4 and makes lots of clicking noise

Comment

Sounds like one or more of the odometer reels have stripped teeth. I have a spare '63 speedometer whose face is really baked, but the odometer section works well. Let me know if you want it to rebuild yours.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Clark. I have a lead on a NOS unit. Thats been down the priority list though with the short distance I drive. The next big project is to replace all the front end bushings and check/rebuild the kingpins. Once suspension is in order, all major systems will have been refreshed and then I'll start playing with the small stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X