headliner installation- 51 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headliner installation- 51 Champion

I am ready to install the headliner in my 51 Champion 4 door. The original headliner and windlace were not in the car when I got it and so I can't see how the factory did it. So my questions are:

1. Do you nail the windlace to the tack strip before installing the headliner? It appears some fabric was nailed to the tack strip, but the pieces are too small to be identidied.
    2. A lot of the tack strip is missing around the windshield and rear window. What material could I use to replace the tack strip? It looks like a good alternative would be to remove the tack strip and use upholstery adhesive to attach the headliner to the window frame.

Any suggestions or lessons learned would be most appreciated.
    Thanks.

Don

In the 1951 factory shop manual, at the front of the manual is the "Body" section. On page 27 is the headliner removal and installation instructions. Of course you know that they are a bit casual in their instructions because at the time it was written, they knew that if the technician messed up he could simply walk over to the parts counter and pick up another one!

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The windlace should be retained under tabs that are part of the body surrounding the door opening and there should be a toothed retaining strip screwed above the door openings to retain the headliner. Windlace before headliner.

I would get new tack strip. Any adhesive that would hold will be a mess to install.

Tack Strip is available from Restoration Specialties in Windber, Pa. The new stuff is polypropylene and very flexible, available in several sizes. I drilled and screwed it in to the body then tacked the headliner to it; couldn't be happier.

Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Now for the fun part.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X