power brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: power brakes

I want to install power brakes on my 1954 Commander. I would also like to move the master cylinder to the firewall, space permitting. What do you guys recommend as far as master cylinder and power booster and what exactly is envolved in such a project?thanks

Manual or automatic transmission? If you make the brake pedal into a swing pedal, you pretty much have to do the clutch, too, or the car will look funny and feel strange to drive.

I'm pretty sure Turner Brakes has an under-floor booster kit for your application. You can find him on the vendors list, I believe, and he is fine gentleman with whom to deal.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I DID NOT INCLUDE ENOUGHT INFO AS USUAL FOR ME. THE CAR HAS A CHEVY 350 WITH AUTOMATICK TRANSMISSION.IT HAS A FATMAN FRONT END WITH DISK FRONT BRAKES BUT LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED AS TO THE AMOUNT OF FOOT PRESSURE NEEDED TO COME TO A SAFE AN COMFORTABLE STOP. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY STUDEBAKER HID THE MASTER CYLINER UNDER THE FRONT SEATS BUT I'M TRYING TO BRING IT TO THE FIREWALL WHERE I CAN ROUTINELY CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL AND WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH TO ADD A POWER BRAKE BOOSTER...THANK YOU

Comment

Studebaker put their master cylinder under the floor because that's where every make put their master cylinder until the early '50s.

You MIGHT be able to use the pedal hanger from a '61 to '66 Lark. They had suspended pedals. I don't know if the hanger is compatible with way the earlier firewall is pressed, though. It might be easier to some kind of universal suspended-pedal kit from one of the streetrod vendors.

Again, get in touch with Jim Turner. He might have an under-floor booster using a master cylinder with a remote reservoir that can be mounted on the firewall. That way, you get to keep a "clean" firewall, but still have ready access to check fluid level.

Comment

If you move the master cylinder to the firewall, be sure to add bracing as the firewall was not designed for this application. It will flex. I put a Camaro IROC setup in my 54K with GM brakes and braced the heck out of it.

When I hit the petal I want it to stop not flex.

Bob

Comment

I've seen where some people have added a remote reservoir on the firewall to their under floor masters.

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

You probably don't have the proper master cylinder for a Disc/Drum application.

Master cylinders bores have to be sized/matched so that they provide the proper line pressure/volume to the brakes.

Disc brakes require more pressure. Using an original application under-the-floor master cylinder will result in a very stiff pedal that requires a lot of effort.

A properly balanced brake setup should not require a power booster/assist.

I would suggest measuring the diameter/displacement of the caliper pistons and matching their required volume and pressure to a Disc/Drum master cylinder before messing with any power booster.

Brake systems are more complicated than many think, and a properly balanced/matched system makes driving more enjoyable.

Comment

Claude023,

I received your email about the floor pans. I tried to reply to your message, but for some reason all attemnpts have been returned as "Undeliverable". Please email me again, and please include another way of contacting you, maybe another email address or a phone number. I am very interested to see what you have available. Thank you

Jerry

Comment

I lost the use of the Hydro-vac on my 63 Hawk. Unable to find a master set-up that would fit on the fire-wall or any ideas on pedal conversion, i put a master cylinder without power-boost under the floor where the existing one was. Unfortunately, i have no power brakes for the discs, hard pedal. Anyone know of some way around this problem, is there such a thing a a remote booster that i can tie into this and get power disc back.
                  Thanks.

Comment

If you have the original disc brakes, you will need the hydrovac, or you will a hard pedl, and hardly any brakes. New Hydrovacs are available from Studebaker International. Be sure to let them know you have disc brakes. The pedal ratio is also different on a power brake vehicle vs a non power brake vehicle.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Hydrovac

Click image for larger version

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1692462Can anyone attest to the quality of the rebuilt Hydrovac from Studebaker Intl.? I've read some negative comments on them.
                      My booster failed, had an accident, $15,000 damage! Removed the dam thing and now have standard brakes. Now, with disc i have very iffy stopping power so i' like to restore to power brake. It would be really convenient if i could have it rebuilt here in Canada if i can find a reliable source to do so.
                      Thanks
                      Last edited by BrianC; 10-14-2014, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianC View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]38482[/ATTACH]Can anyone attest to the quality of the rebuilt Hydrovac from Studebaker Intl.? I've read some negative comments on them.
                        My booster failed, had an accident, $15,000 damage! Removed the dam thing and now have standard brakes. Now, with disc i have very iffy stopping power so i' like to restore to power brake. It would be really convenient if i could have it rebuilt here in Canada if i can find a reliable source to do so.
                        Thanks
                        We have had an SI repro booster on the wife's 63GT now for a good six months. No problem whatsoever, and it was a little cheaper than their rebuilt one, since it came with a vacuum valve included.

I installed a manual brake pedal (more leverage) and a PO swapped out the OEM disc brakes with an early Turner DB setup. I had to haul it down quickly, from 80+ MPH to 0, last weekend on the freeway, after coming upon stopped traffic unexpectedly. It stopped quickly and predictably, with the "Hawk" brand HPS (High Performance Street) pads.

P.S. I do not normally drive that fast.

Comment

Brian.... Russ at http://www.canadianstudebaker.com/ Campbellford Ontario or 705-653-3999
                          Bill Foy
                          1000 Islands, Ontario
                          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by CLAUDE023 View Post
                            I DID NOT INCLUDE ENOUGHT INFO AS USUAL FOR ME. THE CAR HAS A CHEVY 350 WITH AUTOMATICK TRANSMISSION.IT HAS A FATMAN FRONT END WITH DISK FRONT BRAKES BUT LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED AS TO THE AMOUNT OF FOOT PRESSURE NEEDED TO COME TO A SAFE AN COMFORTABLE STOP. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY STUDEBAKER HID THE MASTER CYLINER UNDER THE FRONT SEATS BUT I'M TRYING TO BRING IT TO THE FIREWALL WHERE I CAN ROUTINELY CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL AND WOULD LIKE VERY MUCH TO ADD A POWER BRAKE BOOSTER...THANK YOU
                            Actually , Studebaker attached their clutch and brake mechanisms to the left frame rail (or "under the front seats", as you say) because before that these parts were attached directly to the engine/bellhousing. (considerable vibration) The isolated frame rail location was a big improvement at the time!

Comment

Claude023

I have a 61 Hawk with 350 and 700 R4. Since you are not concerned with originality, I used a power brake booster master cylinder and setup out of a Ford Probe (Mitsubishi) for the smaller size to fit on the firewall. I checked the bore size and it is adequate. I reinforced the firewall, it will flex. The Probe has the duel braking system so you can split the lines for more safety. I have the Turner brakes on the front and drums on the rear so I have a proportioning valve to balance them. I used the Probe suspended pedal, had to rework the pedal a mite to line it up but simple enough. While I was at it I put in a different gas pedal. Works great, no issues. Low cost and simple to install. Don
                              Don Watson
                              61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X