Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Master for a 62 Lark

Anyone done a power dual master upgrade to a 62 Lark with manual drums?[?]

I've found lots of info on using an AMC setup for 63 and newer, but nothing for the 62's.

Also would you need to install a proportioning valve block?

Thanks for any help!

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

I used the AMC ('75 Jeep IIRC) master cylinder to make my manual drum '62 a split manual system, therefore I can't attest to the power setup. However, the swing pedals AND that area of the cowl are the same on the Larks from'61-'66

Jon Krimm
    1962 Lark Sedan

1961 Champ

Comment

I converted my 62 Lark six to a dual master cylinder years ago. No power booster but the Lark is light...

What I did to get a good replacement master cylinder is took a mc off a 63 or 64 Lark six that I had scrapped out to a local clutch and brake wholesaler (Lincoln Clutch and Brake in Lincoln NE). They did a little research and found a mc that originally came from a mid-sixties AMC. I also have V8 brakes on my Lark so when I hit brakes, I stop quickly. I did not need a proportioning valve. I ran one brake line to the front,the second to the rear and installed a plug in a brake junction block.

I did this nearly 20 years ago so the plumbing details are a bit fuzzy

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
      The Replacements.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found that Napa has an AMC power brake booster and master for around $130. It fits all kinds of cars and Jeeps, and has the 1" bore.

Fred

**I'm not the best speller...FireFox catches most of my mistakes, but I use IE at work**

Comment

Thanks for the info...seems like there are a lot of brake questions lately!

Fred

Comment

Fred, unless you are planning on installing disk front brakes you should not need a proportioning valve according to Jim Turner who is one of our brake manufacturer and vendor. Why don't you email your question to him about master cylinder and booster?

Jim Caldwell
            "The view don't change if you ain't the lead dog"

Comment

I have a 62 Lark which I converted to a dual master cylinder (not power). Used a cylinder for a '70 Chevy Nova with drum brakes. The lines come in on the fender side which makes spark plug access easier. It's readily available, cheap, and bolt in. No prop valve required. You do need to re-mount your brake lite switch, or use a pedal actuated one.

Fred
              Fred

Comment

That blue Lark wagon that was Sundays eye candy had a owner installed 60's Mustang master cylinder on it,as was related to me by the owner.It can be seen in the under hood picture.

Comment

I'll have to find that picture! I did see at the very bottom of one of the Turner Brakes web pages that that was an option. I was surprised to see that the Mustang has a 1" bore master. I just sold a Mustang and happen to have an old drum brake master still for it. I might could use that and avoid the core charge.[8D]

scroll to the very bottom of this page: http://www.turnerbrake.com/instructions-2.dwt

Fred

Comment

Well look at that...a Ford master in a Lark. I wonder how much modification, if any will need to be done to the push rod from the pedal to the master?

Link to Sunday eye candy: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=33823

Link to O'Reilly Auto page: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0066

Picture of Mustang master:

Fred

Comment

Working...
                    X