PDA

View Full Version : Year to year compatability

spqr_67
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I am in search of a concise list of compatible parts between years/models for my 52 Champion. For example, I'd be very interested to know if the handbrake assembly for a 1950 would work in my 52, etc. I'm not pursuing a period correct/show car, just want to get my girl roadworthy and start cruisin!
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Michael

dean pearson
10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Michael,
I am no expert but I do have both and they at least mount differently to the dash.
I intend to use my 50 model as I am putting a 50 dash in my car and intend to go all 50 throughout.
Dean.
dpearson@scwcompanies.com

Dick Steinkamp
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Get yourself the chassis and body catalogs. They'll tell you the application years for each and every part.

I would be VERY surprised if the handbrake interchanges with a 1950. In fact, with very few exceptions (engine, transmission, ?), I'd be surprised if ANYTHING interchanges with a 1950.

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026-1.jpg

spqr_67
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry...I should have explained a bit better. Handbrake was only an example, I'm just looking to find as many compatible parts as possible. I'm finding that 52 parts are scarce.
Thanks
Michael

rockne10
10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Mr. Steinkamp's right. If a numbered part was used in 1932 and again in 1952 it would still have the same part number. Obtaining every possible catalog wouldn't make sense. Catalogs from 1947 through 1954 would be most applicable.
I don't think anyone's made the "concise list" you hope for.
Perhaps, if you have just the '52 catalogs and can identify a part you need by part number, we can use our collective catalogs to help you out.
Having the correct part number makes it a lot easier to place an order with many of our excellent vendors as well.

jclary
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Another thing that could help us to help you is to post some pictures of your car. Show what things you need or would like to improve...we like pictures anyway.:):):)

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975

bondobilly
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Part numbers did not stay consistant. If a part had a number of 312564 on a 47 and then was used aagian on a 54 it would have a new part number

Tony Caralla at the old A&M garage proved that to me on numerous occassions. When looking for hard to find parts the best method is with your hands and eyes.

There is a caveat to all of this. In the body parts and chaais parts books that are "multi-year" you will find that a certain part will be listed as fitting 52S,51S,49S (I made those number up). Later on if the gap between years was large a new part number was issued, but somewhere either in a Service Bulletin, or letter to dealers you might find a notation that............ Inventory shows that we nolonger have any 587432 in stock, in the event you need a replacement part use a 486522.

Dick Steinkamp
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Part numbers did not stay consistant. If a part had a number of 312564 on a 47 and then was used aagian on a 54 it would have a new part number

I don't think so, Bill. Studebaker (like all good manufacturing companies) didn't issue a new part number unless there was a unique form, fit, or function.

Going through the engine section of the 59-64 Chassis Catalog (for example), there are many parts with early 50's part numbers (valve springs, dampers, deflectors, tappets, gaskets, rocker arms, bearings, piston rings, etc. The valve springs for the R series motors are part number 188645...the same as an early Commander flat head 6.

There certainly might be exceptions. Do you have any examples?

Dick Steinkamp
Bellingham, WA

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/63%20Daytona%20done/PP026-1.jpg