generator/alternator swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• generator/alternator swap

Is there a alternator that will bolt up to 62 Hawk without a lot of changes. I thought I had read this but now I can't find it.

A prestolite/autolite and brackets from a 1963 or 1964 Hawk or Lark should bolt right up. My 63 Hawk had been modified to a late model Delco when I bought the car, but the homemade bracket that attached it made the pulleys not run parallel and therefor ruined the waterpump. So, I "borrowed" the prestolite and brackets from my 1964 Daytona and installed it to the Hawk. However, I am ignorant to any possible changes that may need to be made to the factory wiring harness that you have.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
    MN iron ore...it does your body good.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

You'd also have to get a voltage regulator as used in a 63-64 Stude and then wire it appropriately.

Here's a typical wiring diagram for a '63-64...

Just my 2 cents, but the generator system on a '62 Hawk worked just fine. I can't think of a reason to change to an alternator unless you have added a ton of electrical apparatus (like a powerful stereo system). The trouble and expense is not worth it.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The reason is I am building a daily driver. It will have air and I am switching to electric fans for the radiator. I am worried that the generator will not keep up with the power needed at lower speeds. If I am wrong let me know. I have been reading things are here and that is the message that I am getting.
        quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

You'd also have to get a voltage regulator as used in a 63-64 Stude and then wire it appropriately.

Here's a typical wiring diagram for a '63-64...

Just my 2 cents, but the generator system on a '62 Hawk worked just fine. I can't think of a reason to change to an alternator unless you have added a ton of electrical apparatus (like a powerful stereo system). The trouble and expense is not worth it.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dallastx75208

The reason is I am building a daily driver. It will have air and I am switching to electric fans for the radiator. I am worried that the generator will not keep up with the power needed at lower speeds.
          I believe both the 62 Generator and the '63-4 alternator were 35 amp. The alternator will turn on a little sooner than the generator, but I don't think you would be able to tell in normal driving. If you are worried about output, you probably want to adapt a 60 amp internally regulated Delco or another high output alternator.

IMHO, there is not an electric fan that will outflow a stock engine driven fan with a stock shroud under normal driving. If you idle a lot or are stuck in stop and go traffic, maybe. I'd make sure the block is clean and that the rest of the cooling system is in tip top shape and drive it. If you have overheating probs then, I'd ADD an electric fan, but not to REPLACE the engine driven fan.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a four blade fan now. Was changing it to a seven blade with a clutch but am told it produces a lot of wind noise which is heard in the car. Just going by what I read on here. I do not know for sure.
            Maybe I am over thinking this. Might be the Science Teacher coming out in me.
            quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

The reason is I am building a daily driver. It will have air and I am switching to electric fans for the radiator. I am worried that the generator will not keep up with the power needed at lower speeds.
            I believe both the 62 Generator and the '63-4 alternator were 35 amp. The alternator will turn on a little sooner than the generator, but I don't think you would be able to tell in normal driving. If you are worried about output, you probably want to adapt a 60 amp internally regulated Delco or another high output alternator.

IMHO, there is not an electric fan that will outflow a stock engine driven fan with a stock shroud under normal driving. If you idle a lot or are stuck in stop and go traffic, maybe. I'd make sure the block is clean and that the rest of the cooling system is in tip top shape and drive it. If you have overheating probs then, I'd ADD an electric fan, but not to REPLACE the engine driven fan.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a four blade fan now. Was changing it to a seven blade with a clutch but am told it produces a lot of wind noise which is heard in the car. Just going by what I read on here. I do not know for sure.
              Different priorities for different folks. A 7 blade clutch fan MAY make more noise than a stock one under certain conditions (idle or low speed). An electric fan will also...often making more noise than the engine itself.

It probably doesn't matter in a 47 year old 2 door hardtop. They are pretty noisy WITHOUT a fan. If quiet is your goal...Lexus .

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
              X