My dad and his Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad and his Champion

My dad polishing his 1940 Studebaker Champion.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

This is such an awesome pic! i love to see original photos from back in the day!

Comment

is that a "lone star" or "royal crown cola" bottle in his hand?
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Wow, I had totally forgotten this post. Thought my eyes were wacko when I saw I had posted a thread.

Between those two choices, it would have been a Royal Crown Cola. He never had an alcoholic drink in his life. That pic was while he was a chaplain in the Army Air Force. He was a minister before and after the war.

Maybe it was the polish????? If it was a soft drink, it was either a Coke or a Dr. Pepper.

Thanks for bringing this thread up again, Corvanti. He died in January of last year, and today I was sort of missing him more than usual.

A customer commented to me this morning on my ethics and I blamed them on him.

Comment

can't take credit for the update, bob. that was one of our newest forum members, troy.

my dad - the one that showed/helped me learn auto mechanics passed in '02... i do "feel" him looking over my shoulder when i get stumped... then i think WWDD: what would daddy do?
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Oh No!! My mistaken reading.

Thanks Troy.

Here's another one for you to make up for my mistake. Same car, about 8 years later, my grandmother and my older brother at Chandelier Tree.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker-Chandelier tree 003.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1670433

Comment

Great photo...back when fenders could hold more than headlights.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wow Bob that is incredible! such history behind these photos! thank you for sharing them and a little insight into your family's history! most the time i feel like i was born in the WRONG generation, cause when i see things like this, i don't think it gets any better!

and as for you and Corvanti both, i am sorry to hear about the losses of your fathers, im sure they were amazing men, and they were smart enough to introduce you to a wrench and an engine right?

Comment

Troy, I've written about my family and Studebakers many times on the forum, so giving a whole story would bore a lot of people. Short story, my folks traded that 40 for a 50 in December, 1949. Every lesson I learned in childhood for mechanicing was on that 50 Champion. I was amazed when I learned in later life that other cars were NOT made the same way as Studebakers.

BTW, my car in my signature is THAT 50 Champion. It and I have been together every day of our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Great photo...back when fenders could hold more than headlights.
                    I remember during deer hunting season seeing many cars with dead deer tied to the fenders.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

It and I have been together every day of our lives.

Excuse me for a minute. I have something in my eye.

Comment

Did you get 'something' out of your eye, yet? Happens to me on occasion.

Comment

Nice pictures Bob. I lost my dad January of last year also. Every so often something will trigger the memories, and it's a bitter-sweet feeling. The fond memory mixed with the grief.
                          I don't have dads car, but I have Grampas pick up. It and I have been together since I was 4.
                          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Some of us are lucky enough to have something that a dollar can't buy.

Comment

Working...
                            X