steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering box

would like to find a quicksteering box that would fit a 62 lark.gm or maybe a mustang box?????want about 3.5 turns and non-power. i used a mustang box in my 69 galaxie sportsroof(manual),has anyone tried this swap in a lark???any help would greatly appreated.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

You could use the mustang if you could hook a link from it over to the two inner tie rods.

Comment

Stude-Intl offers an Avanti quick steering arm that will fit all 1951-1966 Studebakers for $115.00 a pair. Doesnt specify the reduction in wheel turns though, simply says it reduces steering time.

Brent's rootbeer racer.
      MN iron ore...it does your body good.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's pretty hard to adapt a Brand X steering box to ANY '51 - '66 Studebaker, because they use center-link steering, and the steering box sits back on the frame and operates the bell crank via a drag link parallel to the car's longitudinal axis. Completely different geometry to most any other car.

There are a few swaps that have been done. One, I think, involves use of the steering box from a 4X4. Try searching this Forum and others; you will find it eventually.

The quick steering arms are your easiest solution. Of course, steering effort will increase; that's the trade-off.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

There's a guy in California who has done a steering box adaption using a 1992 Mitsubishi Montero one. It was a Hawk with a Mopar 360 for sale on eBay last spring.
          He didn't say anything about the ratio ,but the ad claimed that the car handled well.
          Bill H
          Daytona Beach
          SDC member since 1970
          Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Here's a thread about mitsu steering with pics: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ntero,steering

Comment

Working...
            X